Monday, June 11, 2012

The Silver Lining

Well, hi there!  How are you today?  Cheerful?  Glum?  Sweating incessantly and anticipating a night of very little sleep thanks to the stifling humidity?

Yeah, that last one may just be me.

But!  Lest you think this is going to be yet ANOTHER opportunity for me to bitch and moan about heat and humidity and this totally unfair upstate New York weather that freezes our asses half the year and then tries to melt us into puddles of misery for a couple of more months in the summer . . .

Oh wait.  Looks like I just did the whining part.

ANYWAY.

What I was actually going to say is that one thing I really love about hot weather is how easy it is to get Cubby dressed.  Underwear, shorts, t-shirt, done.  Compare that to getting him ready to go in the winter, which required underwear, long underwear, long-sleeved t-shirt, flannel shirt, wool sweater, wool socks, and wool slippers.  To go outside meant wrestling him into a snowsuit, boots, mittens, and a hat.  I never failed to remember the scene in A Christmas Story when the mom is trying to force Randy into his Michelin Man snowsuit.

Going outside these days means I make sure Cubby has on sunscreen and some kind of footwear.  Sometimes I even let him go barefoot, if I'm feeling lazy (always) and bathtime is approaching.

And there you have it.  The silver lining to the heat.  I knew it had to be in there somewhere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the dust needs buffed off...but there is usually a silver lining.
Thank goodness.
Beth

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

It is 55 and raining.

Can't we find a compromise somewhere Mother Nature?!?

(And I'm stoked you saw a midwife. I had one and gave birth at home. Best experience in the world! Regular doctors pale in comparison.)

Daisy said...

Easier, yes - as long as you keep up the sunscreen!