Sunday, November 25, 2012

Shut It, Fortune Cookie

We went to the Chinese buffet for lunch today.  Know what my fortune cookie said?

"Come back later . . . I am sleeping, (yes, cookies need their sleep, too)"

I did not find this entirely amusing, considering my chronic sleep deprivation.  So I ate the stupid cookie in retaliation.  Serves it right.

In related news, Charlie ate about two tablespoons of yogurt today.  At Charlie's four-month check-up, the doctor was all, "No hurry in giving solids to a breastfed baby."  And I was all, "A breastfed baby who is as big as his nine-month-old cousin and isn't sleeping more than two hours at a time at night is getting solid food."

But I only said it in my head.

The doctor also reminded me to start with rice cereal and then progress to the orange vegetables.  I nodded, all the while intending to start Charlie with yogurt, just as I did with Cubby, who is probably the best eater in the almost-three-year-old category that I have ever encountered.  Why mess with success, right?

So everyone cross your fingers that getting some solid food encourages Charlie to maybe make it four whole hours without waking up at night.

An exhausted mother can only hope.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hunger was Bonnie's theory on Charlie's wakefulness. She will be pleased if the yogurt works for you both.

Daisy said...

I'm with you. I started my boy on solids earlier than recommended; he was so, so ready. So was I.

flask said...

i'll be hoping for you.

Anonymous said...

Well--did Charlie sleep better with yogurt in his belly? Mary in MN

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mary: No. We'll keep working on it.

Anonymous said...

I wish food had made mine sleep better. I wish the first hadn't refused all food until he was a year. I wish the second, who started food much earlier and liked it better slept better than his brother. But alas. Two milk-centric guys who nursed every two hours until six months and then relinquished to every three hours until I unceremoniously quit night nursing at 18 months.

Neither slept better after that, either. Oldest was 3.25 before he slept through the night. Youngest better effing start soon.

Good luck. Really and truly. Avocado is nice and fatty and might work. One of mine slept through the night on a fluke after a kiwi, so I added that fuzzy fruit every night for a sleepless month before I figured correlation did not mean causation.

Poo.
Poo on all children who deprive their parents of sleep.