Thursday, January 3, 2013

Adventures in Electricity

We've had a very electric kind of day so far today.  And not really in the fun way.

This morning as I was putting away Christmas decorations, Cubby grabbed one of the cheap-o glittery stars that were hung on the bottom of the tree this year (for obvious reasons of unbreakability) and pretended it was a cookie.  He was rolling the cookie out and mixing the cookie and so on.  It was all very cute and I was glad he was entertaining himself while I got on with the hateful chore of disentangling the lights from the shedding Christmas tree.

Then he decided to warm up his "cookie" in the microwave.  I did not know he was doing this until I heard the crackling sounds of microwaved metal coming from the kitchen.

Did you know that metal ornament hooks will burn a hole through the glass in a microwave turntable in less than twenty seconds?  Neither did I, but I do now.

At least he didn't burn the house down.

So now I have to find a replacement turntable, which apparently are not stocked in any store anywhere but must be ordered online.  Super.

But the excitement doesn't stop there!

The electrician showed up late this morning to fix the upstairs hall light fixture, which stopped working about a month ago.

Promptness!  I am all about it!

You know that electricians use lots of tools, right?  And you know how my older son feels about tools, right?

Right.  Besides the hall light, the electrician was also replacing the old, loose outlet in Cubby's room in which a plug would never stay without being propped up with lots of stacked books. So Cubby sat on the chair in his room and watched the (very patient) man do this job.  And that child never stopped asking questions the whole blessed time. "What's that?  Where's the screw?  How does he cut that?  Why is he wearing a measuring tape?  What song is he singing? (the man was humming to himself) Why? Why? Why? Why?"

I figured it wasn't really part of the electrician's job to answer a barrage of questions from a two-year-old, so I did my best to answer them myself.  The man told me I was doing a good job.

Thank you, sir.  You have no idea of the random topics on which I have been forced to discourse since birthing my own personal interrogator.

Anyway.  We now have a new light switch in the hall to replace the ancient push-button one that was the source of the problem.

And a microwave without a turntable, but let's focus on today's positives, shall we?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe try the thrift store or craigslist for the turntable.
My ,my that Cubby....at least you don't have to worry about his intelligence....he is one smart cookie ;) . Beth

flask said...

i laugh right out loud when i read of your adventures.

i just wanted you to know.

FinnyKnits said...

"...since birthing my own personal interrogator."

Best description of a two year old ever.