Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chillin' on the Beach

The high temperature here yesterday was eleven degrees.

Eleven.  For a high. So of course we went down to our beach. It looked a lot like this.

"We" was actually just Cubby and me.  A. stayed behind to listen for Charlie to wake up from his nap.

It actually wasn't too awful down there, but only because there was no wind whatsoever.  Had there been even the slightest breeze, our faces would have frozen immediately and I would have hauled Cubby back up to the house before you could say "frostbite."

But it was sunny and still, so we played down there for an hour.  Well, Cubby played.  Mostly he chewed on little stalactites of ice I broke off the ice ledge near the water.  He told me they were very good popsicles*.  And when he got to the last inch or so, he would throw that bit away.  Because that was the core, you see.

He's a funny one, that Cubby.

I really should've brought the camera, but . . . I didn't.  I'm sure you can imagine it.  Cold, ice, freezing water, and a weird but entertaining kid.  That's my life.

* Did you know this was a brand name?  I did not, until my spellchecker highlighted it because it's supposed to be capitalized.  I did not capitalize it, though, because, well, because it looked too weird.  But just so you know, Cubby was not eating a brand-name Popsicle.  Perhaps they should look into making a Lake Water flavor.

5 comments:

mil said...

If he's chewing on ice in 11 degree temperatures, I sort of think he's not kidding when he proclaims, "I like to be cold." Have we checked the family genome for Neanderthal genes?

Anonymous said...

He's been cold all his life.
If you can't beat 'em join 'em. :)Beth

R's Rue said...

Cute post!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

The husband here figures he is thinking about how a carrot has a core and that is what the icicle looked like. Beth

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

It's been bitterly cold here, too. 18 degrees, 16 degrees, 11 degrees. Supposedly, were are getting warmer temps next week. I'm headed to Naples, Florida for Valentine's Day and I CANNOT wait.