Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Return of A.P.D.

It's been awhile since we've had an Audience Participation Day around here, it occurs to me.  I seem to have been nattering on about myself (and now, of course, my omnipresent children) without requesting any input from you for quite some time now.

How rude.

So!  Let's talk, my lovelies!

This question was posed the other day by A. to the room at large at the time*:  Where would you live if you could live anywhere?  And he did mean anywhere.  Another country, a private island, whatever.

The MiL actually said she had never thought about it, but on reflection, she said she would stay right in this area.  For a lot of reasons.

A. would find the most remote piece of land in the high desert as possible, I think.  And high desert (meaning dry, but not really hot) isn't even so much the point as remote.  VERY remote.

He would be a mountain man if he could.  I, however, have no interest in being a mountain woman, so there's that.

I don't have a specific place in mind, though I do love the climate of the high desert as well--oh, how I love and miss dry air--so that part is okay.  But I think I would like to live somewhere where I could have some property without close neighbors, but not so remote that buying milk requires a 30-mile drive over an unimproved road in a four-wheel-drive vehicle.

I've been to those areas of the west, you see, and I want nothing to do with that kind of isolation, thanks.

So I don't know where that place is, exactly, but let me know if you live there and I'll come visit.

Okay!  Your turn!  Where would you live if you could live anywhere your little heart desires?

* Which consisted of the MiL and me, because our rooms are actually not all that large or full of people.

15 comments:

Sherry said...

Virginia and North Carolina, maybe Tennessee. . . they don't have oppressive summers and winters aren't as bad as here in NYS. They still have the 4 seasons. Yeah, any of those three. Nice rolling land, beautiful scenery. Oh, and don't forget the lack of oppressive gun laws and high taxes.

Haley said...

This is an excellent question. I'd probably say St. Kilda, which would make people question my sanity. But it's remote and cold and rainy and has lots of old things. Unfortunately, nobody lives there anymore except for army personnel.

My biggest criteria are probably cold (I grew up in Georgia and I can't stand the heat) and lots of historic buildings.

Rose said...

I would move to Mexico. The cost of living is super cheap and if you stay away from the borders and the big cities you don't have to worry too much about drug lords cutting your head off. Plus the climate is great!

Anonymous said...

I'd move back to either Denver or Albuquerque. I've lived in both places before, and at this time of year, anything is better than Minnesota. Mary in MN

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

A small cabin on top of a mountain in NC. No close neighbors and living a very simple, frugal life.

Anonymous said...

kauai, HI.

barring that, the Pacific Coast of California...maybe Carmel? Or more north?

BUT, I have always wanted to live 6-12 months in England. Still hope to, some day.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

The Islands of Palau.

Or Brittany, France.

In a shack, on the water, with access to fresh shellfish and plenty of space to garden and keep chickens, rabbits and worms.

Yeah. Totally.

Anonymous said...

How does this sound... 80 acres woods, small house plopped in the middle , several creeks and ponds, wild animals galore,vegetable gardens...you can't see any of this from the paved road frontage...7 miles to small city or 3 miles to the nearest gallon of milk. Beth

flask said...

money no object i would live about a mile down the road from where i live now, i a sweet little farmhouse i have loved for years.

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

Pueblo, Colorado, where my husband grew up. It's the best of both worlds -- the high prairie, rimmed by the Rocky Mountains. Alas, there is no job for me there. And my husband, too, wants to be a Mountain Man. And while I have no desire to be a Mountain Woman, I probably would put up with the 30 mile drive over an unimproved road -- just as long as we had high-speed internet and satellite television.

Anonymous said...

I'd stay right here in NC by the sea. It's going to be 78* today!

Sandy Shoes

tu mere said...

Mostly anywhere I'm close enough to see family, but far enough away from the cold, snowy/icy climates and big cities. Seems priorities change with age.

FinnyKnits said...

Lake Tahoe, CA. No question. I effing love it there and we spend so much time there as it is, that we might as well live there. That's the dream anyway.

One day...

Anonymous said...

good site

Anonymous said...

good site