Saturday, February 2, 2013

Trot Trot

I have mentioned before that pre-child, pre-home ownership, and pre-everything that makes it hard to go on vacation for any significant amount of time, we went to Spain.  To northern Spain, actually, for two weeks.

What I have not mentioned is that A.'s best meal ever was consumed on that trip.  If you ask him what the best thing he's ever eaten was, he'll get all misty-eyed and tell you about the unctuous pig's trotters he had at a restaurant in Soria.

Yup.  The feet of a pig.  And he always uses the word "unctuous" to describe them.

He tried once to cook pig's feet--to recapture the magic if you will--but they were tough and nothing like the much-beloved Spanish porcine feet.

Then the MiL got a book* from the library all about cooking every part of a pig and saw a recipe for pig's trotters in it.  And then, she saw bags of frozen trotters at the butcher shop in the Small City.  So of course she bought some.  Because she's fearless like that.

In her words, she just wanted to see if she could make them edible.

We're all about high standards.

ANYWAY.

The trotters cook for something like eight hours, which certainly makes them tender.  And the sauce was good.  But the fact remains: They were the feet of a pig.  So they were essentially all skin, fat, and knuckle bones.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but they were . . . well, gross.

Cubby was very excited to eat pig's feet, because he's like that, but he took about two bites and declined the rest.  I did likewise, instead focusing on my mashed potatoes, beets, and peas.  Which left A. to eat most of the trotters himself.  And he did.

His reaction?  Allow me to quote the man directly:

"It's just on the edge of gross.  Maybe over the edge, actually."

"It's pork fat overload."

Then he ate some more.  And then . . .

"I'm shaken."

"Now THAT'S real food.  When you eat three or four pig's trotters, you know you've eaten something."

A. admitted that maybe part of the reason the trotters he ate in Spain were so exceptional was the fact that we hadn't eaten for 12 hours beforehand and so were starving.  But he was still grateful to the MiL for her attempt to recreate his favorite meal ever.

And I was happy with the mashed potatoes, so it was all okay.

* Co-written, amusingly, by a man named Christopher Trotter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Spay ane..but I'd kinda like to go there....reminds me of a song I've heard.
My granny used to eat pickled pigs feet that you bought at the store in a jar already fixed. I honestly don't remember trying them though...but they are fairly odd looking in a jar.
Sometimes memories are best left in your mind. :)
Yay, for Mil for giving it the good ol' college try. A. is her Cubby/Charlie...see moms are moms all their lives. Beth

tu mere said...

Thanks for getting that out of the way before we arrived.

jive turkey said...

HOO BOY. Reading this gave me a bit of the cold sweats.

mil said...

self defense: I offered to make omelets for those who couldn't stomach the trotters. And the sauce was good, actually. Cooking pigs' trotters for anyone but Adam would not be on my "to do" list-- I might try them again in ten years, no sooner--and if i do, I'll be sure to get the front legs, which are supposed to be better. I think these were hind legs. Probably should have been left behind legs --

FinnyKnits said...

So you guys have now eaten pig's feet and nipples.

If you never ate pork again, I wouldn't blame you.

But - good on you for at least trying them.