Saturday, April 27, 2013

Once More Unto the Breach

Spring has come! And so have the wretched ants.

Yes, the arrival of warmer weather heralds the arrival of dozens of tiny black ants in the downstairs bathroom. I set out the Death Jelly for them yesterday in there and haven't seen any today.

Unfortunately, the ants are venturing further afield this year. Specifically, into Charlie's room.

I didn't know they were in there until last night when I went to put Charlie to bed. He's having some Issues With Teeth lately (very screamy issues, unfortunately), so I gave in yesterday afternoon and dosed him with some medicine. Which is, of course, acetaminophen dissolved in sugar syrup. I was holding him in my lap in the big chair in his room when I gave him the medicine and not having anywhere else convenient to set the dropper thing after I dosed him, I just set it on the floor next to the chair.

When I retrieved it that night to wash it out, it was covered with tiny ants. GROSS.

I washed all those ants down the drain, and then crawled around the floor, peering closely for any remaining ants, which I crushed with my finger.

I'm all about live and let live, unless you are an insect in my baby's room. In that case, you're dead.

Luckily, the ants usually disappear from the house when it gets truly warm outside, but in the meantime . . . here ants. Have some delicious jelly.

Suckers.

2 comments:

flask said...

totally off topic, but i wanted to tell you and this seemed the easiest way:

guesswhatguesswhat?

today i went to the grocery store and they had RAMPS! honest-to-goodness picked in the woods ramps which is amazing for a grocery store but not this grocery store because they have someone who supplies them with wild foraged foods and stuff in season and i have never found ramps all on my own nor was likely to find any today or tomorrow so i snapped some of those puppies up and i am going to cook them tonight along with some lovely mushrooms i grew in the kitchen.

RAMPS!

woo-hoo!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Oh. Dude. Gross.

I had those tiny little ants in our last house - and every spring I did the crawl around as well, or long periods of standing perfectly still just staring at the floor, looking for movement.

Utter hatred of all things ants.

I'm with you - ants are fine outside doing their little ant errands, but come into my house and it's ON.

I'm so sorry they are in Charlies room.