Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Go Get 'Em

This morning when I came downstairs at 5:15 a.m., Mia and Leda were still outside in the dog pen and Otty was still in the back hall. When the dogs in the pen started barking and then Otty started yipping with some agitation from the back hall, I figured there was something significant prowling around outside.

Most likely that damn fox. We haven't lost any more hens to it since I've been vigilant about locking them up at night. Also, the dogs chased it off awhile ago and I think it was a close-enough call that the fox was deterred for a little while. But they always come back.

If A. had been up I might have sent him out with his rifle. But he wasn't up and I don't shoot guns. I do, however, have three quite effective weapons with sharp teeth and no fear. All I had to do was set them loose. So that's what I did. Those dogs shot out of their two enclosures directly to the hollow without pausing.

I don't think they caught whatever it was this time, but I do know that no animal is going to hang around with those three slavering canines charging around.

Good dogs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would rather not deal with skunked dogs or stitches or cuts.
So I never did let our dogs out like that. Beth