Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Lesser of Two Evils

I just finished applying sealant to half of the grout on the tile wall around the bathtub in the downstairs bathroom*. Having now done that for the first time, I can say with some certainty that I would rather butcher a deer than seal grout.

And you know I know whereof I speak.

What with the cleaning of the grout with toothbrush and baking soda, and then with bleach and a sponge, and then brushing on the sealant, AND THEN cleaning each individual square of tile to wipe off the excess sealant, AND THEN DOING IT ALL AGAIN . . . screw it. Butchering a deer is faster and doesn't hurt my hands and shoulders so much.

The worst part is that I still have the other half of the grout to go. Dammit.

* Part of the ongoing project to bring our downstairs bathroom to any kind of acceptable state for the guests who use it. No, I have not yet finished painting. A. helped me caulk around the drywall last weekend, so the path is now finally clear for the second coat of paint on the walls and then painting the trim. After I finish this goddamn grout. 

3 comments:

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Oh, yes. I haven't done that but I can see how freakin' tedious and irritating it would be!
I'd rather butcher something, too!

Anonymous said...

I agree doing something once and being done with it is more satisfying than repeating a process you didn't enjoy at all the first time. Hopefully the second time of all of it makes it seem easier for you. Beth

tu mere said...

Can totally empathize. I foolishly cleaned the shower grout without sealing. Now it smells. I have to go back and redo. Hate it! You are to be commended for your perseverance .