Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Impromptu Drinking--Again

This afternoon around 3:30, Cubby, Charlie, and I were hanging around on the lawn eating carrots when A. descended from his office to ask if we would like to go on a family walk in the woods.

So, you're saying I don't have to spend the rest of the afternoon alone with two roaring children? Now that's a plan.

As A. was going inside to get the pack for Charlie, he saw the lamb chops I had taken out to defrost for dinner. And he suggested we could bring them with us and cook them over a fire in the woods. He had left a metal grill thing up there last time he and Cubby camped in the gully.

At first I was hesitant about packing all the food up and hauling it in the pack. But then A. said two magic words: No dishes.

SOLD.

As I was gathering together the food, A. came in the kitchen to fill a water bottle with red wine to bring along. He asked if I wanted any. No. I didn't want any nasty old wine. If I were to drink anything, it would be a gin and tonic. But that's not very portable.

Or is it?

I found a pint-sized Rubbermaid container that my mom had accidentally left behind when she was here. It's one of those things with a screw-on top and a flip-up part. Perfect for G&T on the go.

And this is how I found myself hiking down the gully bank and swigging a gin and tonic at four o'clock on a Monday afternoon.

Not quite as relaxing as wine on the lakeshore, but I'll take it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! Did the chops grill up well? And was it a strictly protien meal?
-moi

Kristin @ Going Country said...

They did; open fires seem to be the best way to cook lamb. I also brought some of the potatoes I canned on Mother's Day, and some cucumbers. So it was a semi-balanced meal.

Anonymous said...

When you are sitting in your rocking chair in your 80s , these will be your wonderful memories. Beth

tu mere said...

Sorry you had to drink out of an evil plastic container, but, if it had to be, can't think of anything better than gin and tonic. Definitely no worries about having look cool and hip.

I see many more of these types of outings in the future, so don't get rid of the container, especially now that it's seasoned.



FinnyKnits said...

Yep - been there. This is how I established our backcountry "bar" - one flask of bourbon for Bubba and one mini Nalgene of gin + tonic + lime wedge for me.

Now...if only Bubba were up for strapping a grill to his backpack, I'd definitely carry the lamb chops.

rls said...

That sounds like so much fun!