Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bowing to the Inevitable

Almost invariably, anyone who observes Cubby and Charlie in their natural element--that is, at Blackrock--makes some remark along the lines of, "It's so great you let your kids get dirty. Good for you."

My response to this is always, "Let them? You think I could stop it if I tried?"

No. I could not. Short of locking them inside the house and keeping them on leashes when they're outside. Neither option appeals to me, so they will go outside and they will get filthy. No question.

Though maybe the mud puddle is pushing it a little bit . . .


Charlie found a worm, which I admired appropriately. From a distance, because I'm not so into the invertebrates.


Literally down and dirty is the only way to go when you're under five and have access to mud.


The plane also got a mud bath. It was great for his pores.

Yeah, my kids are dirtier than most. It can't be helped. Sure makes for a lot of laundry, though.

7 comments:

flask said...

there's good clinical evidence: dirtier kids = fewer diseases of the clean.

plus self-reliance.

just wipe 'em off before you let 'em back inside or take 'em into town.

and i may wish to buy stock in whatever company makes your preferred laundry soap.

just sayin'.

sheila said...

Hose by the back door was a lifesaver when my kids were that age. Just strip them down and hose them off before you let them back in the house.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Flask: I make my own. Otherwise, I would go bankrupt buying Tide or whatever.

Sheila: Bingo. We have a hose near the dining room door that sees a lot of use as a pre-bath rinser.

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh out loud at Charlie with muddy water dripping from him and they both look like they couldn't be happier. Beth

Anonymous said...

I think that it is good for kids to be outside and playing (getting dirty). We did it when I was a kid. I know that I am giving away my age, but we didn't have the problem with childhood obesity then, due to the fact that we were outside running around. My kids played and got dirty as does my granddaughter and they really don't have too many problems with illness. Let them have their fun!

Daisy said...

This reminded me of a very different moment in my friend's life. She and her husband were both musicians and stagehands, both former teachers, too. Their son wanted to take ballet lessons, and they said "Sure!" Some other mothers questioned her. You let him take dance? She responded with a strong "I ENCOURAGE him to take dance!" The young man, now in college, is bearded and manly looking. And his girlfriends? Love that he's not afraid to dance!

Anonymous said...

Mud is just the best, especially when you're a little kid. I say, Let them play in mud.

It all can be easily repaired!