Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Arachnid Convention

'Tis the season for every spider in the tri-state area to convene at Blackrock. Come on in! Spin your webs in my house so I can walk into them all unsuspecting and then get that creepy sticky feeling a million times a day!

I'm not joking about the number of spiders in our house. It's a really big, really old house near a lake. We have THOUSANDS of spiders. They're in residence all year long, but this is the time of year they really start appearing everydamnwhere in the house. I reach in to get a bowl in the kitchen cabinet and . . . gah! Wispy creepy spider web feel on my hand! I go in the corner to retrieve a ball for Charlie and . . . GAH! SPIDER WEB IN THE FACE!

Or I go to take a shower and end up sharing my ablutions with no less than four spiders hanging out on the ceiling. No joke; I counted last time.

I suppose I could be more vigilant with the broom, but they'll just come back the next day. And it's not like we have black widows around here. So come on in, spiders! Make yourself at home! It's spider season at Blackrock and they're here to stay.

7 comments:

tu mere said...

Your dad had about a million babies born in the exercise room. Well, may be not a million but, in that small space, it sure seemed like it.

Reminds me of the baby spider web nest that broke on the underside of y'all's bunk bed in Hawaii. Special. Yep, you've got a history.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. I remember that night. The spider EXPLODED when I hit it on the ceiling and rained babies on both tiers of the bed. We'll probably both get cancer from the insane amount of Raid used that day.
I do dislike the "ick" feeling of unexpected webs. That is unfortunate. Sorry.

-moi

Anonymous said...

Your original story was gross, but the follow-up stories are VERY GROSS! Mary in MN

flask said...

yep, it's spider mating season in north america. oddly, they like to come inside and find a comfortable place for it.

and for all that egg-laying and stuff.

consider learning to eat the bigger ones. fried, maybe? pickled?

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Okay, you just made a connection for me.

We moved last year to a house by a lake. And we have had legions of spiders in this house. So much so that we don't even notice them anymore. I just continue to hope one doesn't get stuck in my EAR.

It's the lake, isn't it? It has to be. We've got some bigguns, too. I thought I saw one wave at me the other day.

FinnyKnits said...

Yeah - it's getting spidery around here, too. Every time I go out to the garden now, there's at least one web wrapped around my shoulders or face that I didn't see because I was dodging another one.

This is the time of year that it's common to hear Bubba yell, "WHAT ARE WE, THE FUCKING ADDAMS FAMILY??!"

To which I usually respond, "Obviously, Gomez."

rls said...

There are many things about Blackrock that are charming and delightful and fun and make me wish I lived there or at least visited on a regular basis. This is not one of them.