Friday, March 7, 2014

A.P.D.--The Pancake Preference Edition

The pancake dinner we went to this past Tuesday served as a reminder of how different the pancakes I eat now are in comparison to the pancakes I used to eat.

The pancakes I grew up with and ate until about four years ago were the standard pancake: White flour, milk, oil or butter, maybe some sugar even. They're kind of thick and puffy, and eaten with massive amounts of butter and maple syrup. Except when I was a kid, it was margarine and Mrs. Butterworth's. And I LOVED them.  I remember one period when I was about ten when I wanted pancakes every day after school. My mother was quite obliging about this, as I recall. Thanks, Mom!

Those were the kind of pancakes that were served at the pancake dinner. Those are not at all the kind of pancakes we eat in our house now.

We had pancakes this morning for breakfast. The batter was made with buckwheat flour--which, despite its name, is not related to wheat and therefore is okay for the gluten-sensitive members of my household to eat--some of the failed yogurt that I'm trying to use up, and melted butter. Plus cranberries.

About those cranberries. A. considers a pancake without blueberries to be a waste. One time a couple of months ago when we had run out of frozen blueberries, he used some of the cranberry sauce leftover from Thanksgiving.

Winner. So now I have a jar of cranberries cooked with sugar in the refrigerator to use for pancakes.

A. ate his cranberry buckwheat pancakes with butter and maple syrup. Cubby ate his plain. Charlie ate his with just maple syrup. The MiL ate hers with just butter. And I ate mine with plain yogurt and apricot jam.

Our pancakes are weird. And so are we.

And now it's your turn to talk pancakes, my lovelies! What's your preferred pancake and what do you put on it?

5 comments:

Anna said...

I like to sear a banana that's been sliced in half - on the griddle with the last couple pancakes - and sprinkled with cinnamon. I usually use jam or fruit butter instead of syrup.

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

First, thanks for mentioning that about buckwheat. I didn't know that, and I've got a friend whose son was just diagnosed with celiac and I'm helping with recipes.

As for our preferences, I'm more into crêpes than pancakes. Thinner, so it's more about the toppings, which will be some combination of bananas, strawberries, dark chocolate chips, Nutella and whipped cream.

Anonymous said...

Since I *try* to be healthy, I make whole wheat pancakes with flaxseed added. From scratch tho. Gabby uses syrup, me butter and syrup or butter and whipped cream and blueberry jelly. Shan doesn't eat pancakes, so they are a school morning affair ( as he has already left for work 1-2 hours earlier).

tu mere said...

So different from our younger days. Wheat flour, flax seed, wheat germ, egg beaters, chopped pecans, blueberries (sometime). Add less fat butter and syrup at the end and, voila, really good pancakes.

Healthy isn't so bad sometimes, or may be our tastes have just changed. Whatever the reason, it's all good.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Oh, dear.

I don't like pancakes at all.

I never have.

Heresy.

But ask about favorite morning egg dishes and I'm all over that like a hobo on a ham sandwich.