Monday, March 3, 2014

Our Fitness Comedy Routine

I was sitting on the couch at 2:30 this afternoon, watching both of my children ram around the living room. As usual. Due to various circumstances, I did not get a dual nap out of them today. Which is why I decided I should maybe do my workout while they were awake.

Oh, the hilarity that ensued.

I didn't even attempt the newer DVD I'm doing, because most of it involves getting down on the floor for push-ups or plank stuff or abdominal exercises. Forget it. That is not happening with my children in the room with me. Although they would be quite happy to increase the challenge by piling onto my back or stomach as the opportunity presented itself.

So that's a no on Ripped in 30.

I decided instead to do the first level of the 30-Day Shred DVD. Most of that is upright, if I skip all the abdominal stuff. Which I mostly did. The hand weights that are part of the program were sacrificed early on as items of interest to entertain the children while I continued to lunge around them and try to avoid kicking them in the head while I did my butt kicks.

Charlie's hand weight had to be confiscated because he kept throwing it.

Cubby had to be cautioned more than once to avoid doing his reps over Charlie's head.

Charlie tried to time his attempts to climb my legs with my jumping jacks.

Cubby kept enquiring why the women were missing clothes (they wear only shorts and sports bras, an outfit he has certainly never seen me rocking).

Charlie leaped on my stomach when I made one attempt at sit-ups. I managed to do eight before he landed on my kidneys.

And all this in fifteen minutes.

I think it's clear that group exercising will not be repeated in this household.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention my sporty outfit for this experience. I didn't take the time to actually change my clothes, instead electing to just exchange my slippers for running shoes and take off my wool sweater. So I did this whole thing while wearing long underwear and corduroy pants, plus a thermal long-sleeved shirt under a flannel shirt. You can see why Cubby was befuddled by the shorts and sports bra concept.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that you faced extra challenges in the routine that will lead to muscle tone! You might send Ms. Michaels your suggestions.

Anonymous said...

The shred "sauna" version. :)
Kudos to you for even doing it at all. Beth