Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Inconsistency, Thy Name Is Cubby

10:30 this morning

Cubby: I could eat meatballs anytime.

Me: You want meatballs for dinner tonight?

Cubby: Yes. I love meatballs.

Me: Okay.

4:30 this afternoon

Cubby: What's for dinner? Pasta?

Me: No. Meatballs.

Cubby: WHAT? NOOOOO!

Me: You said you wanted meatballs, so I made them.

Cubby: I did NOT say I wanted meatballs. I hate meatballs! Make something else!

Me: Too late. They're already cooking.

Cubby: Take them out of the oven!

(He went on in this vein for another minute or two, but it was very irritating at the time and will no doubt be just as irritating in the re-telling, so I'll spare you.)

5:30 this evening

Me: Cubby, it's time for dinner.

Cubby, upon viewing his plate: NOOOOO. Or . . . maybe not no.

5:32 this evening

Cubby: Can I have some more meatballs?

5:35 this evening

Cubby: Can I have another meatball?

Me: I'm glad you like the meatballs, Cubby.

Cubby: I LOVE meatballs.

Through great effort of will, I managed not to roll my eyes or say something sarcastic. But it was most certainly a very great effort.

4 comments:

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

Jenn said, "She's a good mom."

tu mere said...

I would fear for Cubby if he were born in a home where children rule. You always seem to find the balance necessary to be loving yet adult. Cubby will thank you in the future - may be.

Lindsey @ Half Dime Homestead said...

This happens every day in our house.

Every. Stinkin'. Day.

I play just like you do - make the meatballs and smile when they eventually eat them happily.

(All the time, inside my brain, SHOUTING: I TOLD YOU SO!)

flask said...

your kid is so awesome he makes my brain hurt.

(said flask, eating a handful of cold pasta and typing one handed)