First of specific interest (meaning for my mom).
As of yesterday, Jack can officially crawl.
This development pleases him greatly.
And entirely uncoincidentally, he has also been sleeping for a nine-hour stretch for the past couple of nights. The electrical outlets are no longer safe, but I'll take constant vigilance over sleep-walking through my day.
And now for the general interest item . . .
Charlie spotted a white caterpillar on the picnic table outside while we were eating our lunch in the kitchen. We went out for a closer look and I told him we would look it up and try to identify it.
Do you see the "Do Not Touch" sign? No? It should really have one.*
Turns out it was a Hickory Tussock Moth caterpillar, and that those particular caterpillars are kind of venomous. Venomous enough to produce symptoms similar to poison ivy, anyway, which is definitely a bummer. Good thing we didn't touch it.
So if you ever see a fuzzy white caterpillar with black spots running down the center of its body and little spiky hairs, don't touch it.
* You can probably tell from the quality of the photo that I did not take it. It's from this University of Wisconsin website.