Monday, February 26, 2018

The Clampetts Come To Canada


Remember how I mentioned that the exhaust dropped out of the Subaru when A. and Cubby were on their way to the Montreal airport? Well, they had to drive it home from the airport too, of course. The wire that A. had hurriedly patched it with failed shortly into their drive, leaving them dragging metal and leaving a trail of sparks in their wake.

A bit conspicuous, yes. And not really ideal in a country that is not your own. Even if that country is Canada.

Also, do you know how loud a car sounds with no muffler? I do, and it's ridiculous.

A. stopped and tied the dragging metal up with one of Cubby's shoelaces. That held for awhile. Until it didn't. He used the other shoelace. That worked for long enough to get them out of the urban areas of Montreal and onto the unpopulated road home. At which point A. decided to choose speed in favor of more temporary repairs and booked it home, roaring like a dragster and shooting sparks the whole way.

The agent at the border crossing was somewhat incredulous that they had driven all the way from Montreal in that condition, and just shook his head before waving them through to drive the last ten minutes home.

So now we have to get the Subaru fixed. But first we're bringing the Honda in on Wednesday to get some brake work done, because I could feel--and hear--that things were not quite right when I was driving home from the pediatrician's office last week. It needs new brakes in the back.

I am sorely tempted to give up on one of the cars and just go to a dealership and drive home a brand-new car that will not have been compromised by rust or 130,000 miles of driving. Maybe someday.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

New cars have all these wonderful safety features now, plus a GPS. I love my Subaru Forester. Just saying. . . Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

A new car would be nice for your family.
I laughed so hard, the very thought of A. driving like a speed demon, with sparks flying. (I know first hand how loud a broken muffler/exhaust sounds!!!) I wonder what other drivers thought when they heard him roaring by!
Linda

Anonymous said...

The cost of a new vehicle is just amazing to me.
I can imagine with the children and no husband to call it would be a different story than the usual , oh A. can handle it.