Monday, May 21, 2018

Ready To Be Enchanted


Did you like my offhand comment last week about moving? I was wondering who would be the first to ask for details. It was the MiL's friend Mary. And so, to satisfy her curiosity, as well as all the other hordes of people who are dying to know (or rather, the dozen or so who might be mildly interested), I will tell you.

We are not moving to a new house in this community.

We are not moving back to Blackrock.

We are not moving anywhere in New York state.

We are moving to New Mexico.

Yup, you read that right. New Mexico. Northeastern New Mexico, to be more precise. Although not too precise, because you wouldn't know where this place was even if I told you, and, well, I'm not going to tell you.

I know. Mean. Just trust me when I tell you that you've never heard of it and that it is the middle of nowhere. Even more rural than where we are now. For example, the nearest Walmart is 88 miles away. I have no idea how far the nearest Target is. Probably closer to 200 miles.

Good thing I hate to shop.

So why New Mexico? Because it borders Arizona, where 80% of our children's grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins now live. We didn't want to live in Arizona particularly, though, and definitely not in southern Arizona. Too hot.

Our new home is at 6,000 feet, which means that it has four seasons. Even snow, though nothing like here, obviously.

We're renting a house in the village--official population: 94*, soon to be 100--to start with. The kids' new school has 50 students in pre-K through 12. None of those numbers are missing a digit.

It will be by far the smallest place I've ever lived. But it will undoubtedly also be an adventure.

Land of Enchantment, here we come.

* Edited to add: As Drew cleverly noticed, I did indeed first put 96. I realized this at about 2 a.m. after posting, when my proofreader brain suddenly thought, "Wait, did I write 94 or 96? I think it was 96. Damn. I'll fix it when I get up." The reason I originally wrote 96 is because my brain is conscious at 2 a.m. (and many other times during the night) instead of sleeping. But thanks for the eagle eye, Drew. I commend your careful reading and advanced math skills.

19 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Perhaps my math skills are off, but wouldn't 96 people plus your brood take it to 102?

Anonymous said...

I am delighted that you are moving to New Mexico. Having spent five years in Albuquerque, I often dream (really, like dream at night) of moving back there. Sunlight, warmth, no humidity, what else could one want. That's a very small school so what an adventure your kids will have! Mary in MN

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: Yes, you are correct. I fixed it.

Mary: Those three weather-related reasons also contributed to our decision.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, can't wait to read about your new area & the kids adventures.
Linda

flask said...

it's not that i wasn't curious but i didn't ask because it seemed like too deep a question for an internet rando.

and i have to confess my heart fell a little.

because even though we've never me, you and i have some shared landscape and i had harbored a fantasy of one day after years of acquaintanceship maybe stopping in to say hello when i was in the neighborhood or something and now i feel like i've lost the opportunity for that thing that was probably never going to happen.

also, i have really enjoyed your storytelling on landscapes that are familiar to me. it's not like i don't read blogs of people in new mexico, but yet i feel some weird sort of a loss...

Mary W said...

Wow! What a change. Gardening sure will be different. I look forward to hearing about your further adventures.

Cheryl said...

Have read your blog posts for awhile and have to ask how much with four kids will you be able to food shop without buying the whole store each time you go? Dumb question I know but that would worry me. Cheryl

Anna said...

can we expect to hear stories of haboobs instead of snow storms, then?!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Cheryl: That is not at all a dumb question, and was one of my primary concerns, as well. The answers are 1) Animals (chickens, sheep) and a garden as soon as possible, eventually with a hoophouse or greenhouse for year-round growing, and 2) Once a month trips to the city about 2 hours away for a big stock-up. I've gotten pretty good at shopping infrequently already, but I'm sure there will be a learning curve. There is a small market nearby with some limited produce and eggs and milk and so on, but I bet it's really expensive.

Anna: Maybe, if I knew what that was . . .

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anna: Okay, I looked it up--"a violent and oppressive wind blowing in from the desert carrying sand." There is definitely a windy season, but where we are is technically part of the grasslands, so it shouldn't be dusty like that. I'll let you know, though . . .

Anonymous said...

Well, there was always a dust storm season even in Albuquerque so no big deal, I suspect. Perhaps a cow or two will be in your future. There must be lots of ranches around. Or a horse for the kids to ride. Mary in MN

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Heh, I'm glad it was just 2 a.m. brain typing, not that you were leaving the more annoying kids in the Great White North.

Pippa said...

Yay!! May your hair never freeze to the wall again! (I know, that was Blackrock many moons ago but still...). I DID wonder if you would be in my neck of the woods (Utah) or NM when your mom wrote something about you will only be 9 hours away. Enjoy your new home; I know we'll all enjoy reading about your adjustments and adventures.

Kay said...

I've never lived in the Northeast but I was always concerned about the winters there for you. Happy for you and the family living in a warmer climate and being closer to your extended family-great. Sorry for MIL however. :( Looking forward to reading how your kids become coyotes or whatever the rural ones become in NM.

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to go through all of the new adventures via your blog. Have fun.Beth

R's Rue said...

Love.

Daisy said...

Wow! I'm impressed by the willingness to change! I'm also impressed by the tiny size of the town. I hope you'll share the experience here - we'll enjoy following your adventures!

Beckyathome said...

I would expect that Amazon would deliver, no matter where you live. You could order staples and bulk items from there. I don't know if Azure Standard delivers to that part of the country, but that's another way to order groceries.

I think your ideas of a big garden where you could can and freeze the results, raising livestock and butchering and preserving the meat, and trips to somewhere to really stock up like Costco are all excellent ones. We drive an hour often for certain doctor's appointments and to visit things that over an hour away. You will get used to it all, and probably save money in the long run because you won't be in the stores enough to impulse buy:)

Anonymous said...

Gosh how exciting! I CANNOT WAIT to see the photos when you move! Are you looking forward to the change in climate? Will you miss the snow AT ALL?