Friday
Short version: Fish, leftover mashed potatoes, leftover coleslaw at home; KFC on the road
Long version: This was the day I drove almost 500 miles roundtrip for a football game. There were already mashed potatoes and coleslaw in the refrigerator. We have a few packages of wild-caught cod fillets that came from commodities in the freezer. I took one of those out and A. breaded and fried them.
The football player and I had KFC on our way home, because it was one of our few options. It was not inspiring.
Saturday
Short version: Toasted burritos, more leftover coleslaw
Long version: I used two pounds of ground beef and a can of black beans to make taco meat, which was in turn used to make toasted burritos.
It's important to put coleslaw in a separate bowl, or else you end up with coleslaw juice soaking into everything else on the plate.
Sunday
Short version: Rooster rice, frozen peas, mini pies
Long version: I took out two of the roosters we butchered last week to thaw. A. thought they were young enough to roast, but it was too hot to have the oven on at high heat for that. So instead, I pressure-cooked them in the morning until I could pull the meat off. Then I used the resulting stock to make rice so I could make
this, using some of the caramelized onions I still have in the freezer. It's very fast to make when the onions are already caramelized.
I had made baking powder biscuits for after church, and while the oven was on, I used the same bowl to make a single recipe of pie crust. I rolled that out and cut out small circles to fill with plum butter my sister had made. Then I folded them over, crimped them shut, put on an egg wash and sugar, and baked them all.
Slighty overbaked, actually, but oh well.
I make these very rarely, because doing anything individually like that takes a lot longer than a whole pie or whatever, but my family was very pleased with them.
Monday
Short version: Pork, butter-soaked biscuits, green salad with ranch dressing, rice pudding
Long version: Poppy requested that I make
these butter-swim biscuits. The only meat I had in the freezer that really went well with biscuits was pork, and that was only in the form of a giant pork shoulder.
It was too hot to be cooking that, but I did anyway. I had planned to cut it into chunks, so it would cook faster, but it was still almost entirely frozen even after sitting out to thaw all night. So instead, I started it in my biggest casserole dish in the oven, in which it barely fit and the liquid kept boiling over.
I had rice pudding in the oven with it. When the rice pudding was done, though, I took the pork out and cut it into chunks after all, putting the chunks in an enameled cast-iron pot on the stove to simmer. And the bone, with quite a bit of meat on it, in another pot to simmer so I could get the meat off of that. After I pulled all the meat apart, I mixed it with rendered lard, spices, and maple syrup before putting it under the broiler for a few minutes at dinnertime.
That means I used a total of four different pots, casseroles, and pans to cook this one piece of meat. Irritating. I am so ready to have weather in which I can run my oven comfortably.
I baked the biscuits after taking the pork out--and turning up the heat--in the morning, so that at dinnertime I could re-heat them right in the pan in the oven while the broiler was on. This works very well and makes the biscuits not quite as greasy because all the butter is absorbed during their rest.
Biscuit dough swimming in butter before baking.
Tuesday
Short version: Leftover pork, faked beans, porky rice, cucumber salad
Long version: I had quite a lot of pork left, which I just fried in more of the rendered lard in a cast iron skillet.
We got two cans of pork and beans in the commodities last time. This has tomato and some sugar in it (and not actually any pork except pork fat) and the beans are small white beans. Perfect for making not-baked beans. I just dumped both cans into a bowl, added ketchup, molasses, mustard, and maple syrup until it tasted right, and microwaved it.
After removing the lard from the top of one jars of liquid I had saved from cooking the pork, and using the lard to fry the leftover pork, I used the liquid to cook rice.
Cucumbers courtesy of the lady the older boys work for. All I did with those was slice them and add in pickled onions, the last of the ranch dressing from the previous night, a little extra Greek yogurt, sugar, and vinegar.
Wednesday
Short version: Chili, cornbread
Long version: It was finally cool enough that chili didn't seem like a completely ridiculous idea. Which was handy, because I had more of the pork braising liquid to use up. Stock of any kind--chicken, beef, pork, even lamb--makes chili so much better.
I also did the extra step of softening a couple of whole dried red chili peppers and then blending them with my immersion blender before adding that.
It was really good chili.
I need to make more cornbread and corn tortillas to use up some of the ten pounds of masa we got in the school food boxes last month. I should probably come up with some other ways to use it, too. Any other ideas for masa?
Thursday
Short version: Cheeseburgers on homemade buns, leftover baked beans, pickles, strawberry-rhubarb crisp
Long version: Eldest had made a bunch of hamburger patties awhile ago and froze them so he would have something easy to cook when he was hungry at lunch or whatever. He forgot about them, though, and they were getting a little freezer burned, so I decided to make hamburger buns when I was making bread and use the hamburger patties this night.
I made a LOT of pickles the day before.
The cucumbers I pickled came from the agriculture teacher at school, who in turn got them from her husband's grandpa in the southern part of the state. Well-traveled cucumbers.
I had made the crisp Sunday when the oven was on for the after-church biscuits. I didn't need the crisp for Sunday dessert, because I made the mini pies. I had thought I would serve the crisp the next day, when we had a guest with us for dinner, but then I made the rice pudding. So the crisp waited patiently in the refrigerator and was finally served this night. We'll say it was to celebrate the end of the school week.
Refrigerator check:
Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?
Four pans? On a hot day?! I hope someone else did the dishes for you!
ReplyDeleteThere's anadama bread- a sweet bread that uses cornmeal and molasses. ( New England old fashioned type recipe). You can bread chicken or fish with cornmeal ( homemade fish sticks?).
The boring food edition:
Fri-bacon, grilled cheese, , other?
Sat- I defrosted some steak but not in the mood to grill. So I chucked it in the instapot and stewed it. Rice, carrots.
Sun- shopped at Walmart, so grabbed a sale rotisserie chicken. Warmed that up, with mashed potatoes, broccoli, and buttermilk rolls even though it was a little warm for baking.
Mon- tacos.
Tues- ludicrously hot, but I was at a XC meet, so teens at home made chicken stripe and fries. Not enough chicken ( whoops- I should have checked) so hot dogs too. XC boy nearly passed out at meet due to heat and dust, so quick ice cream cone on way home, and hot dogs.
Wed- grilled pork chops, baked potato, peas, fries for those who do not appreciate the glorious delight of a baked potato . Applesauce.
Thurs- leftover pork turned into fried rice with some carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower. Some kids had plain rice and leftover pork.
Enjoy a Hopefully cool weekend!
Ugh, that sounds like a miserable cross country meet. Ice cream was definitely the right call/
DeleteFinally back (hopefully). The baby needed a feeding tube and her high needs plus homeschooling 8 kids threw me off for the last month…
ReplyDeleteFri- fish tacos with rice and beans
Sat- a priest friend joined us for coq au vin, roasted potatoes, salad, apples, and chocolate peanut butter bars,
Sun- parish picnic! Lots of fried chicken, sides, and desserts. The 9yo and 12yo boys got first place in the pie baking contest for adults!
Mon- fried rice and I’m sure something else
Tues- I was so tired of baseball and it was finally the last game of the year for 4 of the boys so we ordered tacos from the taco place down the street.
Wed- brats, fries, salad, grapes
Thurs- leftover coq au vin with the leftover French fries from brat night. It was like a weird poutine but it worked!
I'm so glad to hear from you! I thought it likely your absence was due to something going wrong, and I hope your situation continues to improve. I can't believe you STILL had baseball! I thought that was a spring sport. :-)
DeleteIt would not use a lot, but I often sprinkle cornmeal on the pan under my pizza dough. I’ve been wanting to make cornmeal pancakes, so I looked it up and there are recipes for that with masa.
ReplyDelete