Another county fair has come and gone, and we have covered ourselves in glory once again.
Or at least got some ribbons.
Lemme show you!
The first day of the fair is just a day for entering the projects in the community building and dropping off animals for showing. We don't show animals, so for us, it's just bringing in our projects.
This year, that was gingerbread, a purse, and a watercolor painting from Poppy.
Please enjoy these awkwardly-cropped photos that got rid of the names of our county and the children.
She actually sewed this just randomly for her best friend (by hand, with no pattern or anything), and then when she needed a fair project, I suggested she enter it before giving it to her friend.
And her watercolor.
As you can see, her gingerbread won grand champion in the child's baking category. She was very proud of this, particularly because my buckeye brownies only got first place, not grand champion.
Not-champion brownies.
It was kind of funny that the judges' notes on Poppy's gingerbread included the comment that it had a strong molasses flavor and she might consider substituting some honey for the molasses. We do not agree with this. It's supposed to have a strong molasses flavor. But to be fair, it's also supposed to be eaten with whipped cream, which we could not give the judges, so that affects the flavor, too.
Anyway.
I also always enter whatever I can get from the garden. This year, that was leeks, carrots, and garlic.
All prettied up for judging.
The leeks won grand champion in the agricultural products category.
I also always enter something canned. This year, the only thing I had was some rhubarb jam. I brought it, but it was literally the only thing entered in the canned goods category, so they didn't bother judging it.
(I should probably note here that our county is very small, which means our county fair is very small. Like, VERY small. I think there were only a dozen entries total this year in baked goods, and only a few people entered vegetables.)
One boy chiseled a cross into stone.
This didn't really place, but I feel like that's because the judges have no idea how difficult this is to do.
And another boy did a collage from "Fur, Fish, Game" magazine.
Featuring many dead animals, because that's what the magazine is about.
A. entered a watercolor flower, too, which got first place.
So! Very successful, yay us, etc.
The second day of the fair is most of the animal showing. We don't show animals, but many of the children's friends do, so we always go to watch them manhandle goats and steers in the ring. I didn't take any photos of that this year, though.
The third and final day of the fair is my kids' favorite. It starts with the parade. This year, the older two kids were on the FFA float, so it was only the younger two picking up candy. There was a lot of candy this year, thanks to the many political candidates who were campaigning.
Never any chocolate, though, because it's way too hot at the parade and chocolate would just melt.
The next exciting thing is the rodeo. Before the riding events, which my children do not participate in, they have a couple of fun activities for any kid. This includes goat dressing, which is catching a goat and getting a t-shirt over its head. Also the calf scramble. This is in a large pen where all the kids go and they release several calves in with them. The calves have money rubber-banded to their tails. The kids chase the calves and pull the money off their tails. This is actually really hard, and somewhat perilous, as the calves have been known to kick, or to turn and run down their pursuers. I've never seen anyone get really hurt doing it, though, even the littlest kids.
The dance at night is the last fair event. I always take any kids that want to go. We only stay a couple of hours, because we have church early the next morning. They always get a live band, which I particularly appreciate. Everyone knows how to two-step, so everyone, from little kids to elderly people, dances. Parents dance with their children, brothers dance with their sisters. It's fun.
It takes place in the same pavilion the livestock are shown in. Properly cleaned up, of course.
And that was it for this year's fair! It's always a very tiring three days, but they are some of my kids' favorite days of the year and they're already looking forward to next year's fair.
* Lyrics from this Chris LeDoux song, which we always have to listen to as we drive to the county fair.









12 comments:
The cross looks amazing, like something you'd see in a garden/ landscape store.
And I agree about whipped cream on gingerbread- you need the contrast. In a little house inspired cookbook I read, Laura's recipe for gingerbread is amazing, but she suggested melted chocolate on top. I'm not a fan of chocolate and spice, but many people do like it. That might hold up better in the summer heat if she ever competed again with the same recipe.
I always enjoy your county fair posts!! So impressed with your kids and their many talents. The cross carving is beautiful!!
That cross is amazing. Your kids are so talented. The purse is adorable.
Linda
I give the cross a Blue Ribbon from Alabama! It's amazing. I can't even buy leeks that look that good here. Did you start from seeds or plants?
Wow! What a fun filled event for your family. In the chaotic world we live in this is a breath of fresh air! Your family has so many wonderful talents! Keep nurturing this in your children, the world needs this!
Yeah, I can't really get behind gingerbread and chocolate. That's kinda weird.
It's a pretty amazing event. Like something from another time, sort of.
I'm impressed by Poppy's sewing, to be honest. All I taught her was basics like how to thread a needle, tie it off, and make a stitch. She took it from there.
A. bought starts. I think there were fifty? We're going to have a lot of leeks this winter, hooray.
It is fun. :-)
I have fond memories of my kids mutton bustin' at the rodeo!
They did mutton bustin' one year, and it resulted in more injuries than the steer riding. That kind of surprised me. Maybe because younger kids did it.
Post a Comment