Friday, October 2, 2026

Friday Food: A Lot of Midweek Desserts

Friday 

Short version: Tuna spaghetti casserole, radishes, concession food

Long version: Homecoming this day at the school we do a sports co-op with. There were volleyball games starting at 2 p.m. and the football game was at 7 p.m. I was hoping to be able to come home in between those two things to eat dinner (and not be sitting on hard bleachers for 8 hours straight). Also, not everyone went to the games, so there needed to be something for them at home.

To that end, I made a casserole in the morning with many of the things we've been getting from commodities and the food boxes the school is now sending home: cream of mushroom soup, canned tuna, spaghetti. I just more or less randomly added things like cream, milk, and cheese to the cream of mushroom soup to make the sauce. I got it just right. Yay, me.

I did end up rushing home in between events, mostly to pick up something the football player forgot. I called ahead and asked the eldest to put the casserole in the oven before I got home. However, the younger two stayed at school to see the last of the varsity volleyball game, so they ate their dinner from the concession stand. 

Homecoming is always nuts.

Saturday

Short version: Beef and bean quesadillas, corn on the cob, bread and butter

Long version: This ended up being a much busier day than I had anticipated, so dinner was more simple than I had anticipated. I had thawed some ground beef, which I used to make taco meat with some of the big pot of black beans I had cooked earlier in the week. That filling went into flour tortillas for quesadillas.

We got the corn on the cob, randomly, from commodities. It didn't quite go with the quesadillas somehow, but I needed to use it and my kids always love corn, so there we go.

The bread and butter is just because floppy store bread with butter on it is the easiest way to butter corn. You just wrap the buttered bread around the hot corn and slide it all around to spread the butter. 


A plate full of starch.

Sunday

Short version: Grilled steaks with herb butter and caramelized onions, fried potatoes, cucumbers, brownies and vanilla ice cream

Long version: I had just a little charcoal left, and this was one of the last really warm days we're going to have, so I decided to grill the steaks I thawed. I really dislike grilling. We just have a charcoal kettle grill, and I find it very difficult to get the heat level right. This time it wasn't quite hot enough, so I had to finish the steaks under the broiler. They still had the taste of grilled meat, it's just annoying to have to use two sources of cooking.

I still have a lot of caramelized onions in the freezer, and they are the youngest boy's favorite with steak. The herb butter is also that boy's preference with steak. I used finely chopped basil, parsley, and green onion for the herb butter, along with a little garlic powder.

I fried the potatoes just because I had a big skillet still on the stove and mostly clean from the after-church crepes. So I used that skillet to fry the potatoes, just putting potato cubes in with tallow, covering until they were soft, and then uncovering to get them crispy.

Monday

Short version: Leftover steak in sauce, herby rice, cucumbers and pickles, leftover brownies

Long version: I had quite a bit of steak left. The consensus was that it had been a bit chewy, even though it was definitely not overcooked. Just the cut of steaks, I guess. So I decided to sort of stew the leftovers to tenderize them. I did this by trimming and slicing the leftover steak into smaller pieces and then simmering it with the leftover caramelized onions, a bit of tomato sauce from an open can, and some chicken stock I had in the refrigerator.

When I went out to the garden to get collard greens for my salad, I was reminded that we have A LOT of leeks that I need to start using. So I pulled one big leek, sliced that thinly, and added that to the steak pan. When everything was tender, I added cream mixed with cornstarch to thicken the sauce. It turned out well.

I used the leftover herb butter in the rice, which handily used up all the leftovers from the night before.


I only cut up one cucumber, so everyone also got pickles spears. Cucumber variety is the spice of life.

Tuesday

Short version: Chicken thighs, mashed potatoes, maple carrots or raw broccoli, stabby cake

Long version: This was the Feast of the Archangels, but in our house, we pretty much just celebrate St. Michael. Sorry, Gabriel and and Raphael.

Anyway, September 29th has traditionally just been Michaelmas, which is St. Michael's feast. And the traditional food for Michaelmas was goose.

I don't have access to a goose to roast, so I make do with chicken. Usually I would make a whole roast chicken, but this year I just cooked chicken thighs. They were on sale when I was at the store the day before, and I also wanted to make something I could share with the teacher at school who was coming home from a hospital stay with her son. A whole roast chicken is harder to split up than a bunch of chicken thighs.

I made this recipe, with about 12 pounds of chicken thighs. The power went off at about 10 a.m. and didn't come back on until almost 1 p.m. I didn't want to open the refrigerator in that time, so I had to wait until we had power again to get the chicken out and get going. This meant it didn't brine as long as it should have, but it was still good.

I really didn't like how much aluminum foil I had to use to make foil packets for all this chicken.


So much trashed foil.

Next time I might try baking it in my giant casserole dish with a lid that I usually use when I make pork shoulder.

Anyway. The chicken came out well.


And there was a lot of it.

That was before putting it under the broiler to get crispy. The smaller pan at the front of the photo went to the teacher, and we had the bigger pan in the back.

Our other St. Michael tradition is the stabby cake. I bake a devil's food cake and then we say the St. Michael prayer and everyone stabs their piece of cake with toothpicks. Because St. Michael is traditionally depicted using a sword to fight the devil. Get it?

This year, I had a bag of chocolate cake mix that came with the food boxes the kids are getting at school. I knew it would be an anemic "chocolate" cake if I just used the mix, so I added some more things to it. Like a full cup more cocoa powder, some molasses, and coffee in place of about half the water called for. 

I never make frosting for the stabby cake, but I did dust it with powdered sugar. And we had some ice cream to go with it. Happy Michaelmas, indeed.

Wednesday

Short version: Enchilada casserole, cucumbers with ranch dip, cupcakes

Long version: I used the rest of the taco meat/beans, plus the package of corn tortillas that came in the school food box, to make the casserole.


Dinner ready to go by 9:13 a.m.

The cake mix I had used the day before would have made two 8-inch layers, but I made a dozen cupcakes with part of it instead. I frosted them with peanut butter frosting. Half of those went to the teacher, and then we had the other half for everyone at home this night. 

Nothing like an unexpected Wednesday cupcake.

Thursday

Short version: Leftovers

Long version: I was at a wedding in the late afternoon--for two people I had never met, story to come later--and didn't get home until around 4 p.m. I changed quickly and went to the school for volleyball, where Poppy was cheering. The games were done pretty early, so we got home around 7 p.m. and I have the two children who had been with me leftover mashed potatoes and cheese or a salami sandwich.

The three who had been at home at leftover enchilada casserole, plus canned peaches and cottage cheese.

Refrigerator check:


Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

14 comments:

  1. We do the same thing for St Michael! Sometimes I let the youngest ones use a big plastic sword to chop the cake up.
    Fri- grilled cheese with tomato soup and then pizza. The first was a late lunch and the second was a late dinner for basketball players
    Sat- St Michael’s Bonfire with friends! Roasted chicken, a bunch of random sides, and s’mores
    Sun- so much leftover beef birria but my kids threw a fit with leftovers so I made spaghetti, salad, and garlic bread
    Mon- yogurt or cereal… my husband was away for the week and I know I’m still feeding 11 people but I have no desire to make food when he is gone. But three teen boys and massive complaints meant this was the only night I said “fend for yourselves”
    Tues- beef birria chili. I just took the leftover birria and added whatever beans and tomato products I could find
    Wed- baked pasta with beef and pepperoni, sourdough bread
    Thurs- beer brats with onions, carrots, pretzels, grapes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted to know someone else has the stabby cake tradition! I read about it online years ago and now can't even find the original mention of it, and have never heard of anyone else doing it. Off topic, but how is your little daughter doing?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for asking. She’s not great. She got very sick (multi organ shutdown, her blood ph was .1 away from immediate death). She relies on a feeding tube now (our 3rd kid to have one so it’s not that scary for us!). Some days she looks and acts like a normal walking chatty 16mo and other times she can’t focus her eyes or hold her head up.
      5/10 kids have whatever unknown/no other kids in the world have this disease so we know what’s coming but it doesn’t necessarily make it easy! When she is feeling well though, she is a perfectly plump delightful baby :)

      Delete
    3. I am so sorry that your daughter is still struggling. And that you are too, I'm sure, by extension. I will pray for her and your family, that the happy days outnumber the others.

      Delete
  2. Fri- fried rice using leftover pork and misc vegetables.
    Sat- gone in morning to help prep school fundraiser, and afternoon spent baking and getting to Mass. So dinner was scrambled eggs. Lemon shortbread cut out cookies and blueberry crisp for dessert. ( extra pie filling from the two blueberry crumble pies I made for the bake sale, and the messy cookies rejects.) Husband had leftover fried rice.
    Sun- school chicken dinner. I was working the afternoon shift, so sons came and picked up take out. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, applesauce, rolls They had run out of coleslaw , so my husband was out of luck. Pumpkin cheesecake and sugar cookies from the bake sale.
    Mon- there was extra grilled chicken and mashed potatoes from the school dinner that I got to take home, so I warmed that up. Corn. Apple slices. I grabbed picky eater a bunch of nuggets as he hadn't eaten much meat lately. He finished only 18.
    Tues- XC meet, so I left ham for sandwiches, hot dogs, teens made fries, apple slices.
    Wed- leftover grilled chicken mixed with leftover rotisserie chicken into stew. Carrots, oatmeal rolls, broccoli.
    Thurs- XC meet again, so a repeat of Tues. It rained the entire time we were at the meet, so a free ice cream cone from McDonald's before we left for home to reward him for his fortitude. Then hot dogs. I had made pumpkin bread, so that was the fruit. I do put crumb topping on mine. I love crumbs. But there's grated apples in the batter, so healthy!
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just meant the allowance of fruit as a side dish standing in for vegetables in a meal, not that a pumpkin isn't a fruit. No judgement from me counting pumpkin bread (even without healthy apples) as the healthy side dish. Sometimes I don't bother at all and the whole plate is just meat and a starch.

      Delete
  3. I was somewhat confused by the pumpkin bread as fruit comment, although I was willing to allow for pumpkin being fruit (I have a liberal definition of fruit and vegetable myself). The apples make more sense, though. Totally healthy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there was pineapple too! Three fruits!
      I thought botanically, pumpkins are fruit as they grow on a vine from a flower and have internal seeds, like tomatoes and peppers. I figure if it grows and I put sugar on it it's fruit. ( except rhubarb, because that's a stalk so vegetable.)
      Look, it was after a long day where I was in the rain all afternoon at a CC meet, then had to go out to choir concert after i got back. The fact everyone just didnt eat cookies for dinner is a victory. Any produce consumed is a real bonus.

      Delete
  4. All of your meals always sounds so good. You are great at turning what you have into a flavorful meal. The leftover steak dish sounded especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re Saturday, corn on the cob goes with everything, IMHO. 😉
    Cheryl in IL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friday-cauliflower potato soup, biscuits. I cut them out with a pumpkin cookie cutter - very popular.
    Saturday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, butternut squash
    Sunday-shepherd's pie? made with leftover pot roast. Lamb in the store costs the earth.
    Monday-miscellaneous leftovers
    Tuesday-spaghetti and cheese, peas
    Wednesday-poached eggs on toast (husband out of town and someone gave me some fresh eggs). I made applesauce in the crockpot and used maple syrup instead of sugar. I don't use much but wow. It was great.
    Thursday-chicken thighs, noodles, squash, coconut macaroons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am losing hope I'm going to find any good saucing apples for applesauce this fall. Boo.

      Delete