Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Enchilada Theory

I am convinced that you could stuff pretty much anything into an enchilada and it would taste like . . . an enchilada. My mother always makes enchiladas with ground beef, so that's how I always made enchiladas. And they are, without doubt, delicious that way.

But chicken enchiladas? Also delicious. Plain cheese? Yup. And last night, I made a filling with a volunteer butternut squash that kind of fell off the vine when I was checking on it, so I brought it inside, chopped it up and mixed it with black beans and onions and garlic and spices and stuffed it into tortillas with cheese, after which I dumped the enchilada sauce over the top and baked it all for awhile.

It tasted like an enchilada. As you might have guessed.

I couldn't even really taste the squash. I guess it's just the sauce and cheese that mask any other flavor there might be. And the sour cream on top, of course. Whatever it is that makes it work, I am adding this one to the zucchini quesadillas as evidence that Mexican spices and cheese can make anything taste good.

Except maybe liver. Mexican liver? Don't even.

3 comments:

sheila said...

Not even bacon and onions can mask liver. Tone it down maybe, but the flavor of liver still takes control of the dish.

FinnyKnits said...

Oh, I'm making enchiladas now. Not with liver because *CRIME* but with whatever falls off the vine in the garden.

So...tomatoes.

And that squash from the farmshare.

AND THOSE BLACK BEANS THAT HAVE BEEN HANGING OUT IN MY CUPBOARD YES!

I'm excited.

Alicia said...

One of the best restaurants in town has chicken enchiladas with this amazing sour cream-based sauce....omg just thinking about them makes me hungry...