Thursday, June 22, 2017

Embracing Low Standards


I never buy cereal. Never. Ever.

It's not that I don't like it. In fact, I like it quite a bit. So do my children. It's more that they (and I) will eat great quantities of it and still be hungry an hour later.

What a waste of money. And time, because then I have to make more food for them.

But we have guests arriving today, and I thought possibly I should have something in the kitchen that could just be opened and eaten without any prior preparation.

(This, by the way, is A.'s fondest and most-unattainable dream: Finding something in the kitchen he can just put in his mouth.)

So I bought some Cheerios.

They've been sitting in the pantry all week, but I remembered them when I realized I had bananas, blueberries, and fresh strawberries we found at an Amish farm yesterday, but sadly no yogurt. What else could I do with those fruits for breakfast?

OH, I KNOW.

Hey, kids! Big treat for breakfast this morning! Cheerios with your choice of fruit, WHEE!!!

"YAY!" said Cubby.

" YAY!" said Charlie. "This will be my first time eating Cheerios at home."

I know, son, I know. You can tell your future therapist all about your deprived childhood.

They each had two bowls.


This could be an advertisement for Cheerios, except that I started out by saying they were a waste of money, so I don't think General Mills will be contacting me for an affiliate deal anytime soon.

Speaking of those guests, we're expecting my sister, brother-in-law, and niece. Finding room for three more people to sleep in this two-bedroom house is significantly more difficult than at eight-bedroom Blackrock.

No worries, though. I've got it covered. As long as guests are willing to sleep on the floor of a kids' bedroom with stacked-up bed frames.


Eat your heart out, Pinterest people.

And on a fold-out couch in the downstairs playroom that has no door to shut out the noise of three small children and two adults that wake up way too early.


I will at least clear out a few stuffed animals and a few dozen building pieces. Because I am ever the gracious hostess.

And as long as my kids can manage to all camp out in the laundry room for three nights and actually sleep.


Really, who wouldn't find this relaxing and conducive to deep slumber?

Eh. Sleep's overrated. Bring on the good times, family-style.

5 comments:

tu mere said...

Hey, Cheerios, cereal, possibly a way to put a bit of weight on Charlie. You're absolutely correct about cereal. Really, does anyone ever just eat the 3/4 cup serving they give for the calorie count? I'd say no - your picture a visual confirmation.

I'm impressed with the house guest arrangements you've come up with, as y'all can barely fit in the house yourselves. Ah well, with the limited amount of sleep time, more hours to spend together. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

We are en route and looking forward to whatever accommodations you can provide. It's about family, not beds. And we can sleep anywhere, especially with the 330 am start time this morning.
See you in a few hours!
-moi

Laura Darling said...

I am cracking up at "this will be my first time to eat Cheerios at home!" So funny. I think your house looks awesome! Sometimes I want to do a house tour of our house. With the exception of three rooms that we've remodeled, it is straight out of the 1970s. It's not so pinterest-y!

Anonymous said...

I know your kids are very inquisitive and love learning. This site looks interesting.

http://www.kid-facts.com/?expref=next-blog

Anonymous said...

Oh, crud, that last post was from me, Beth.
Don't want you to think it is spam. :)