Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cubby: Take Two

Ah. Bringing baby home from the hospital. A special, once in a lifetime experience. Unless you're us, of course, and then you get to do it TWICE.

So fun.

Not really.

Hi! Did you miss me? Did you even notice I was gone? Did you think I had perhaps gone over the sleep-deprived edge and done a runner?

Surprisingly, no.

Instead, I have been in the hospital. Or, more accurately, Cubby has been in the hospital and I, as his food supply, have been hanging out in the room while he sunned himself like a seasoned beach-goer. When we went to the pediatrician on Monday, he said the jaundice was worse and the baby would have to go under the lights for a couple of days. We went straight to the hospital and I've been there with him ever since. He luxuriated in the warmth and light and ate every two hours; I watched the snow fall outside the window and watched bad t.v. and ate bad food for two days. Really, the food at the hospital offends every sensibility.

ANYWAY.

We got sprung today, thanks in large part to the small child's capacity to eat like a line backer and therefore expel the evil bilirubin that causes jaundice. He obviously inherited our healthy appetites, if nothing else.

So. Yes. Home again. Settling in again. Doing laundry again. And REALLY looking forward to dinner. Seriously. They gave me FISH STICKS for dinner on Monday. I may never recover.

11 comments:

mil said...

Please, take some nourishment!

Anonymous said...

I admit that I had worried when you were off line for so many days! Glad that you are home and settled in again. Actually, I love hospital cafeteria food because they always have chocolate pudding! But then again, I don't have an MiL to make it for me. Hope that your hospital days are over for a good long while! Welcome home again, Chubby.

Anonymous said...

Fish sticks----weeehaaa . Did you get some cheese and tartar sauce for those bad boys , too?
So glad that can be taken care of fairly easily. So is your chest tan now?? hee hee hee
Beth
If cubby keeps up thos feeding we will be calling him chubby then.

word verification - defrepl

the sound you make when you see fish sticks on your wonderful hospital tray.

sweetbird said...

Glad to hear the little man is doing OK. My husband had jaundice when he was born and I've heard many a story about it from my MiL.

How goes the heat inside the manor for Cubby? I wonder if he's also inherited your cold-resistance genes?

Anonymous said...

What is it with hospitals serving crappy foods? Do they want people to stay sick?

Welcome home a second time Cubby!

Sheila Z

QuiltedSimple said...

Welcome home....again. And yes, hospital food is seriously crappy. Fortunately, with the second child, I got sprung after 30 hours rather than the required 2 full days. I think they were glad to get rid of us.
Kris

Susan said...

Yes, I did miss you and I'm so glad you've been sprung. I think you should take over as Food Services Director at the hospital and teach the staff how to garden and cook like you do at Blackrock. So much healthier - not to mention beyond yummy. Glad Cubby is doing well. Now go take a nap.

Phoo-D said...

Glad you're back home away from the horrors that are called hospital food! I was thinking that "chubby cubby" would make an awfully cute ice cream name! =)

Sara said...

I'm glad that Cubby is doing better. And that you now have access to decent food. Fish sticks? That's just wrong. Isn't it bad enough that you're at the hospital? Terrible.

FinnyKnits said...

Glad the cub got some time in the tanning bed. He's certainly not going to get that at home.

Though I'm sure you'll enjoy eating real food again.

Fish sticks? Yarf.

Daisy said...

Yeah! I'm glad baby Cubby is eating like a trooper and expelling all that nasty yellowish stuff. Now that you're home, you can eat real food again.
Enjoy the sweet baby time!