Thursday, March 4, 2010

Yes, My Child Sleeps on a Dog Bed

That was possibly my favorite comment on yesterday's challenge to identify Cubby's warm bassinet covering. I guess it does kind of look like one of those fake fleece dog beds. But it's not a dog bed. And it's not fake fleece. It's a REAL fleece.

Oh yes.

Remember this? Well, this last fall, we had a Merino cross lamb hide that we sent away to be tanned. We specifically planned for it to be used for Cubby, because Merino fleeces are incredibly dense and warm, and yet the length of the fibers is shorter than that of the Cotswold fleeces, so he wouldn't get his fingers all tangled up in it. It arrived about a month before Cubby did.

I was initially a little afraid to use it, because of all the unbelievably fear-inspiring advice from doctors/nurses/Internet strangers/you name it about newborns suffocating if there is ANYTHING in their sleeping space besides, like, a hard board surface and a tightly fitted thin sheet. But . . . he was cold. I mean, this is a cold house, you know? We can only get it so warm inside when it's 20 degrees outside. And that bassinet thing is just a thin piece of nylon suspended in a playpen. That's not at all cozy. So we put the fleece in there and MAN. That kid sleeps well in there now. I kind of wish I could curl up next to him.

But then he'd just wake up and want to eat, so it's best I keep my distance.

10 comments:

mil said...

According to this article, early humans arrived in Europe (i.e. a coldish climate) about a million years ago. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/mar/27/archaeology.fossils

I'll just bet lots of babies slept on lots of animal skins during that million or so years---

Alicia said...

I think that's an awesome way to warm your child. I had some crappy store-bought crib...no farm-grown wool on the thing at all! :(

dognutmom said...

That was me ... but then again, look at my id: dog nut mom There is a reason for that name ;-)

A fleece was my second guess.

Phoo-D said...

What a warm and snuggly spot! I had to laugh at the dog bed comment. =)

Alyssa said...

Glad to hear he's letting you sleep!

FinnyKnits said...

It actually seems like this fleece is a more comforting environment for a newborn (or anyone, for that matter) - so I say, feel free to ignore all that unsolicited advice.

From my experience, people generally don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Anonymous said...

Yippee, what do I win, what do I win????? Beth
I think cubby wins big time.


word verification mestot

term for small child with puddin' on the face

Daisy said...

It reminds me (gulp) of the fleece my parents used to use as pads on their motorcycle seats. When it wasn't riding season, these lovely warm pieces would be on the floor by the fireplace.

Mayberry Magpie said...

My healthy and now 14-year-old son son slept on a sheepskin his entire (crib) life. It was a gift from a friend. We weren't so freakishly scared about these things 14 years ago.

But you know what, he did almost die in his sleep one night thanks to the cat. The cat slept on his head (I was on a business trip and the cat, who usually slept on my head, picked Parker instead) and Parker had an asthma attack and turned blue. Fortunately, Mr. Mom woke up because I would have been really mad if he killed my baby while I was away on business.

How's that for a scary Internet story? Keep the cats away from the crib.

MsPicketToYou said...

you know how some people have a dog that they treat like a baby and then they have a baby and the dog just becomes a dog?

somewhere in that story is something pithy..