Friday, July 30, 2010

No Fear

Okay, so I know that Cubby is my first baby and all, so it's not as if I have a wealth of experience to draw on here, but surely it's not normal that the child doesn't seem to get frightened. At least, he's not at all frightened of loud noises.

So far in his short life, he's been exposed to semi trucks, yelling sheep, barking dogs, chainsaws, shotguns, airplanes, violent thunderstorms, and God knows what else. I have never, ever seen him cry because of a loud noise. He gets startled, sure, and will jump when he hears a very loud, unexpected noise. But cry? No.

I mean, the other night? When he was already asleep? We had a seriously violent thunderstorm, complete with torrents of rain, gale-force winds, and frequent flashes of lightning. I went up to Cubby's bedroom, figuring he'd be freaked out and screaming his head off shortly. When I got up there, I found that his window fan--which I had turned on to high when I put him to bed because it was so sultry and gross before the rain--was adding to the chaos of the hurricane blowing directly into his window and his room was lit up every few minutes by the lightning. The lightning struck and the thunder boomed, but Cubby slept on.

For the last week, we've had an air compressor in the dining room, plugged in there to power the nail gun for roofing. Do you know how loud an air compressor is? Especially in an enclosed space? Even I don't like the thing. And yet yesterday, when Cubby and I were playing on the dining room table, the compressor kicked on three feet away from us. He started, stared fixedly at the source of the insanely loud noise until it shut off again, and then looked at me and smiled.

The child seriously feels no fear.

I laugh in the face of danger.

This can't bode well for his teenage years.

10 comments:

Mayberry Magpie said...

Life for Cubby is so grand. How can you feel fear when you get to lay outside nekkid? I want to be Cubby.

Hey, there's some tomatoes for you over at Mayberry Magpie!

rls said...

Maybe won't bode well for the teen age years, but it's pretty awesome now!

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

He's a drummer.


Word verification: formetat -- early preparations to overthrow the government

Alicia said...

OMG cutest Cubby picture so far.

Mia said...

yeah, and put together that with his super human baby strength ::laughing::: you're gonna have stories to tell :)))

Anonymous said...

I don't want to scare you or anything, but just consider that he may have trouble hearing, maybe ask his pedi about it. I have a very good friend that had the same issue and even though her baby responded to the vibration, couldn't actually hear the noise. I don't want to wish anything like that on dear Cubby, but it may be best to find out sooner than later.

Daisy said...

1. Check his hearing. Seriously.
2. Babies can sleep through almost anything. My niece could sleep through an NFL football game with the whole family yelling and screaming and cheering.

Aunt Krissy said...

I was always amazed that babies could sleep through church singing. I mean some loud,hand clapping, foot stomping singing.

Tami Bami Wami said...

If baby cubby does turn out to be Deaf i can always drive up and teach him how to sign. *g*

FinnyKnits said...

I guess it's all in what you're used to, right? And it's good he's used to loud erratic noises at a young age, though that does mean that he's going to want to play the drums and electric guitar when he's a teenager. And he'll want an amp that can blow the roof off your house.

But at least he'll sleep through a thunderstorm now.

And, yeah, compressors are really effin loud. Bubba runs his outside in the garage for all of his projects and it pisses me off hearing it indoors.