Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Through the Garden Gate

No, not this garden gate. My new garden gate.

Come on in! Don't mind the weeds.

After a few years of random bits of loose fencing propped up in this spot that kept falling over and scratching me and mysteriously disappearing when a piece of fencing was needed for something else, A. finally built me a gate. And a perfectly lovely gate, at that. He made it from various bits of wood he found around, plus some boards he made from the remains of the black walnut tree that tried to kill the sheep shack a couple of years ago. I love this gate very much, and I am very, very happy to finally have a gate on hinges at this end of the garden.

Now that you've had a chance to admire my pretty new gate, why don't you just step on into the garden for a tour of my mulch?

Plants, I mean. A tour of my plants.

Plants? What? Where?

Okay, so you can't actually see any plants there. That's because it's just a big pile of sheep-shit straw in which I planted the Ronde de Nice zucchini seeds. But soon there will be plants! At least, I hope so.


Ah, here are some REAL plants. Cabbages, obviously. In a nice bed of mulch.

The cabbages seem quite happy this year. They don't even seem to be infested with cabbage worms chewing their leaves into lace, as has been the case in the past. Perhaps the mulch repels cabbage worms? It kind of repels me, so I wouldn't be surprised if the cabbage worms are giving it a miss.

There are purple cabbages too, but they're not as big and I didn't take a picture of them. You'll just have to take my word for it that they have not yet died, and there are no cabbage worms on them, either. And yes, they are also mulched.

Why, look! It's more mulch! (And tomatoes.) Are you sensing a theme here?

Some of you may notice that I did not erect my kick-ass tomato support system this year.

And some of you may have better things to do than remember my method of staking my tomatoes.

But for those of you who DID remember and are wondering what the hell is up with those lame sticks on either side of the plants instead of my towering infrastructure of years past . . . well. I just didn't have it in me to spend the time to build all that this year. I know you all think I'm Superwoman, but even I have my limits. So those tomatoes will be tied to single stakes on either side this year AND LIKE IT. And if they fall over? Oh well. Fewer tomatoes that I have to can.

But wait! Before you lose all respect for me, here are some supports I DID build.

Pallets are like the little black dress of the woodchuck world--appropriate for every occasion.

Okay, so A. actually built one, but they were my idea. And I did cobble together the other one. The one that isn't as nice-looking and the one on which one of the cross-pieces has already fallen off, but I tried. I used a hammer and nails and everything. Those are for the cucumbers to climb up. We like to empower our cucumbers to reach for the sky.

And on that inspiring note, let us leave the garden and all do our best to reach for the stars ourselves.

Or something.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your garden must have a lovely aroma lol.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. The gate is most lovely. Cubby can start learning his letters with the
"A" shape of the cucumber teepees...speaking of that ..it looks like a good place for Cubby to 'hide out'. Beth

word verification- schemi

ew ew coco bop...schemi schemi coco bop

Have I gone off the deep end? Probably.

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

Your gate IS awesome. Isn't it amazing how beautiful a gate can be? I love it. And your garden looks great!

Daisy said...

I've tried something different for tomatoes every year and finally found what I like the best - the spiral support. Fleet Farm had them on sale in April, so I stocked up.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Ohmigod.
I love the idea to use pallets for the cucumbers! Genius!
And they are the little black dress. So versatile.
Officially stealing the pallet/cucumber idea.
I use tomato cages. Because I have been given so many from people and the farm I used to belong to gave a bunch away. I am absolutely rife with tomato cages.

flask said...

thank you for this.

i am behind in everything and you are awesome.

SixBalloons said...

Hmm, pallets as a trellis! Brilliant!

FinnyKnits said...

And now I shall use those pallets in our yard for things other than burning in the firepit.

Won't Bubba be so happy - he's convinced anything can be built or made better with the ever-handy pallet.