Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Crazy Begins for Cubby

It rained pretty hard most of yesterday, which meant Cubby and I spent quite a bit of quality time in the four rooms. When the rain stopped and the sun came out around three in the afternoon, we hightailed it outside.

I noticed Penny the hen hanging around in the garden near the hay barn, so Cubby and I went into the garden to see if she had laid an egg in her spot. She hadn't. But while we were in there, I decided to pull some more pigweed, since it's starting to go to seed and I really don't need MORE pigweed in the garden.

Pulling pigweed is an ongoing chore, one that has been neglected in the past month or so because the lack of rain has made the ground so hard that those damned weeds will not let go of their hold in the earth. Whenever I would try to pull one up, it would inevitably break off and then sprout more stalks from the one root, like some kind of botanical Hydra.

Hate pigweed.

ANYWAY.

There were many large, stubborn pigweeds that were finally pullable thanks to the rain, so Cubby and I wandered around and I pulled weeds while he . . . did whatever it is he does. Mostly fall down, actually, since the garden is pretty uneven and full of pitfalls like potato vines and row cover.

We eventually made it over by the tomatoes, where I decided maybe Cubby would like a Stupice tomato to eat. They're pretty small, just about his size, so I thought it might be a good before-dinner snack. I wasn't sure if he would really enjoy eating a whole raw tomato, as he hasn't had much experience with them in his short life. But I figured he could try one, anyway.

Yeah. He ate four. It appears the Tomato Crazy is genetic.

That's my boy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read your title I thought Cubby was going through some horrible phase like "the terrible twos". Just loving tomatoes? That's a good crazy.

Anonymous said...

Good for him and you. Now, as he grows he will be able to HELP you pull weeds also. Beth :)

word verification - redist

the tomato you are looking for

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

Congratulations! The tomato-loving boy is adorable and it is WONDERFUL to have our children love tomatoes!! Now, the problem will be teaching him when to pull a tomato and when to leave it on the vine. From now on, they'll ALL look good to him!

Joellen said...

Love the picture. Cubbby is too cute. Glad he loves tomatoes. Not much else better than a homegrown tomato.

Daisy said...

Such a lucky kid! We had small tomato plants outside our duplex when La Petite was little; she would eat them whole, like apples. She still loves fresh tomatoes - and she's 24!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

It is so funny what they eat, when we think they won't.

I'm glad he likes the toms - it will make a baby sized dent in the massive amounts that will be cluttering your counters soon enough!

unfoven - how a toddler with lisp say's unproven.