Sunday, December 23, 2012

It's 5 A.M.

And I am totally ready to go.  To Virginia, that is.  Glory be.

It never ceases to amaze me that I manage to go from nothing ready to go to everything ready to go in just a couple of hours.  Getting all the shit together that four people need for five days--including a baby, which is an exercise in over-packing if ever there was one--is no joke.

I started packing bags at six o'clock last night.  I loaded the car* in the dark and snow.  I finished loading it at 4:30 this morning.

Everyone is still asleep.  I've taken a shower.  I'm drinking my coffee and feeling much calmer than I did twelve hours ago.  Now I just have to get children loaded up after they awake and we'll be on our way.

At which point I think all calmness will have gone out the car window, but whatever.  Bring on the road trip.  I'm ready.

P.S.  To the worried anonymous who asked in a no-doubt incredulous tone if we were really giving our toddler a real saw?  Yes.  It is a real saw.  And he can really cut wood with it.  Perhaps Cubby is not your average toddler (in fact, I'm SURE he's not average), but there is no doubt that boy is fully capable of handling real tools.  He's probably just disappointed it wasn't a power saw like Daddy's.

* We're taking my Subaru, which is all-wheel drive and has snow tires.  A.'s Roadmaster is pretty good in the snow (he tested it by driving into the Small City during a straight-up snowstorm yesterday to get sheep food), but it doesn't have snow tires and it's still on probation.  Buying an old used car means the expectation that something will need to be fixed on it within the first month.  And we don't want that something to be a radiator hose that leaves us stranded in the snow in the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania with two small kids. So. Subaru it is!

6 comments:

Tami said...

Your title made me laugh. All I could think of is that song from the 80's. (Am I Slipping Into The Twilight Zone?)

"It's 2am
the fear is gone,
I'm sitting here waiting,
the (coffees) still warm.
LOL

Be safe and Merry Christmas to ya'll

Amy Dingmann said...

I had a Subaru in high school and it was my favorite car ever. But I married a country boy who is 6 ft 5 and there isn't anyway to get him into one of those things. :(

I had to laugh about the saw question. We always gave our kids real tools and now they're masters at using them. Bonus - my nine year old can now fix the car ALMOST without DAd's help. :)

Anonymous said...

So do I understand this correctly? You stayed up all night and are soon leaving on a road trip with a husband and 2 little ones who probably will require quite a bit of entertaining? And the road trip culminates at the home of relatives?

Really?

What is the survival rate for something like this?

You're a stronger woman than I...

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: Oh no. I didn't stay up all night. I went to bed at 9 p.m. and then got back up at 4 p.m. to finish getting everything ready. And the relatives in question are not of the annoying variety, but rather my sister and her husband, who are about the most accomodating hosts ever. So not so much strength required, actually.

Chris said...

Boy are you lucky your plans involved traveling on Sunday! We were supposed to travel today (Wed.) from our house in Ohio to my daughter's house in Virginia. Winter Storm Euclid doesn't agree with those plans I guess. I hope you and yours had a very Merry Christmas!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Um. I like the idea of giving Cubby a real saw. I think we gotta come at kids sometimes from a perspective of "I will think you are capable until you show me you're not". (In an age appropriate way, of course. We shouldn't hand a pound of weed to a 12 year old and say: "Hey! I know you can handle this! Go for it! You're totally all about self control at this age!") Within reason.
He's gonna grab the big giant man sized one anyways, right? So have at it, tot! With a tot sized saw! Try not to leave any appendages laying around!
You're my kind of mom.
And high five on the packing for a trip, loading the car and letting the family sleep whilst you are up blogging. That's grit.