Thursday, March 14, 2013

A.P.D.--The Dreaded Kitchen Tasks Edition

I hate prepping pomegranates. Talk about a pain in the ass. I don't even like eating them that much, crunchy seeds not being my thing, but the MiL bought two when they were on sale around Christmas and I was sick of looking at the one that was still  in there.

I have a theory that pomegranates only sell around Christmas because that's the time of year people are all optimistic and unrealistic in their expectations of food prep. Holidays are like that. It's the one time people are willing to do things like make houses constructed entirely of edible materials or spend hours painstakingly decorating cookies to look like little snowmen.

The rest of the year? Forget it. Those cookies taste just as good without the cute little faces. And pomegranates are relegated to crisper drawers until they're discovered three months later.

Ahem.

So I de-seeded half of the pomegranate. The other half is still sitting in the refrigerator. I ran out of patience.

And while we're on the subject, I also hate pulling meat off the bone. I have to do this a lot, because home butchering means using every weird cut of meat and getting all the meat off the bones. So I spend an hour standing at the counter, up to my elbows in grease, with a dog dish for the nasty bits, a bowl for the usable meat, and a random dish for the throw-away bones, pulling off tendons and fat and cartilage and UGH. HATE.

Anyway.

Okay! Your turn, poppets! What's your most hated kitchen task?


9 comments:

Haley said...

I've found the easiest way to release pomegranate seeds is to hold halves upside down over the sink and bang on them so all the seeds come out. At least all the mess is contained.

My least favorite kitchen task would probably be prepping meat of any kind. I'm very picky about my meat and so I meticulously cut off all fatty, grissly, and otherwise questionable bits, so it takes me forever. Peeling the skins off of fava beans is probably a close second.

tu mere said...

Cleaning spinach with chunks of dirt on the stems/leaves. Gritty spinach salad is a real turnoff.

Anonymous said...

I know longer stand when I clean the meat off of bones....I sit at the counter and have newspaper for the bones,plastic gallon bag for the meat and a used paper plater for the dog's/cat's bits.
I too have a whole and a half pomegranite in frig...only because I bought them did I force myself to eat one half.....the juice part is good, but whoever came up with eating the seeds is dumber than dumb. :) Beth
Mine is washing dishes by hand...bluck...especially canning jars that haven't been used in awhile and are exceptionally dirty or rust stained.

Anonymous said...

no....not know Beth :( oops

mil said...

You know, when I raised turkeys, I can't say that I enjoyed dressing them. Pulling out all the innards takes somewhat bigger and stronger hands than I happen to possess. The plucking wasn't all that much fun, either.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

De-boning rabbit.

Absolutely THE most hated thing I have to do.

Talk about tedious. Sheesh.

Kelly M said...

Try this next time, it's not as finicky, and I have had good results:

http://www.pomwonderful.com/wellness/easy-to-use/parts

Kelly M said...

Try this next time, it's not as finicky, and I have had good results:

http://www.pomwonderful.com/wellness/easy-to-use/parts

KarlaJ said...

We live in the country so when I shop I buy the big family size packages of meat and divvy them up into smaller portions and freeze. Seems like it takes me forever! And I'm not a fan of cross-contamination (paranoid!), so I clean the counter and sink after each variety of meat. Just thinking about it makes that box of cheerios look even yummier!