Monday, May 13, 2013

Braced

We have a freeze warning in effect--27 degrees tonight, according to the not-very-accurate weather forecasters.

It didn't get out of the forties today, and A. decided around 2 p.m. that he couldn't stand it anymore and he fired up the woodstove.

I guess I arranged the dining room in its summer configuration too early.

The only vulnerable plants in the garden right now are the twelve tomatoes I planted a week or so ago. They all have coffee cans around them to repel the cutworms, so I just went out and covered the coffee cans quite fashionably with some of the enormous supply of nasty old t-shirts discarded by A. and me. One shirt dropped over each can. It's very fetching.

And now it probably won't even freeze, but whatever. If it does, the tomatoes are appropriately dressed for the weather and we have the woodstove going.

Bring it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We got the freeze Sunday night so you are due......but, we are expecting the high 80's tomorrow.
That is some serious difference in temps. Bah, humbug on the not very good weather predicting from the so-called forecasters. If I were that bad at my job I would be depressed and probably looking for another line of work. :) Beth

Garden Girl said...

Kristin- I hope they fared better than my tomatoes. I was in a similar predicament as I transplanted all my tomatoes (like 25 plants) a week or so ago when I thought for sure May was all set with the frosts. Mine were too big to cover simply and I think I paid a price for it. http://soiloonup.blogspot.com/2013/05/frost-victims.html

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

A hand operated crane?

Yeah. Your H is my new hero.

That is friggin' awesome.