Sunday, May 12, 2013

Forget Brunch

Who wants inferior scrambled eggs and limp bacon to celebrate Mother's Day? Not me. I have better eggs and bacon at home, and besides, what I really want to do today is can potatoes.

Yup. That's what I said.

See, we always end up with way too many seed potatoes. We never plant them all, and they get all withered and too sprouted before we can eat the rest. A couple of years ago, it occurred to me that potatoes can actually be canned. I had never done it, but the prospect of having already-prepped potatoes is very appealing. Especially in the heat of our awful (un-air-conditioned) summer, when we have meat on the grill and plenty of vegetables from the garden, but I can't bear the thought of boiling water to cook potatoes or rice or whatever.

Good plan! Let's can the extra seed potatoes! Except they have to be pressure canned, which takes awhile, as does the peeling and pre-cooking before the potatoes are put in the jars. And last year at this time I was quite pregnant and in no mood for extra food processing.

So I never did it.

I've been talking about doing it this year for the past few weeks. But once again, finding the time to do it without it keeping me up until way past nine o'clock at night has been a challenge.

When A. asked what I wanted to do for Mother's Day, I told him I wanted to work in the garden without interference. But now it's blowing a gale outside and our forecast is calling for well below freezing tomorrow night, so that's a no go on planting tomatoes and basil. My second choice was canning potatoes.

I know. I'm totally crazy. It's okay.

Happy Mother's Day to all the active-duty and retired* mothers out there. Here's hoping your day is filled with whatever makes you happy.

* Although it is a great truth of motherhood that there is no retirement. Just ask my own mother, who still spends hours patiently listening to me talk and complain, albeit now via long-distance phone calls. Happy Mother's Day particularly to my own mother, who is, without doubt, a truly amazing mom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have to agree that we have an awesome mother. And it is a shame that neither of us live near enough to tell her that in person enough.
But I think that you are a pretty incredible mother too - having seen you in action and all.....
Happy Mothers Day
-moi

tu mere said...

Wish I could be around to play with the boys while you do your Mother's Day thing. That would definitely be my Mother's Day druthers! Guess you can't always get your wishes.

One thing I did get was three exceptional children who are outstanding parents to boot. Can't think of any better gift for me or the world at large. Profound, right?

Keep up the good work, and enjoy your canning day!

flask said...

you are totally awesome.

just sayin'.

this bright ad chilly morning i am sitting on the patio at the ulysses philomatic society.

tonight it will be COLD at the campsite. i am celebrating by wearing long johns and next i will go for a bike ride.

have an awesome day.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms.
At my age ...way over the hill...I can tell you that MY mom is still mothering me. :) So , no, it never ends...but really, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Cubby and Charlie are lucky to have such a mom as you.
Beth

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Happy Mother's Day!!

When asked what I wanted to do today I replied: "Go pick up fishing equipment and plant tomatillos".

You are a rockin' mom. Canning potatoes, huh? I've seen others do it, but never done it myself. Let us know how they turn out! Not only the process but how they taste AFTER you've canned them.