Sunday, June 16, 2013

Celebrating Fatherhood

A. seemed to think the best way to start his Father's Day celebration would be to take Cubby camping in a nearby wilderness area with Jodi and his older son.

But not just any camping:


Canoe camping. The best kind, obviously.

When A. asked Cubby if he wanted to go camping, Cubby said he wanted to go on a canoe adventure. Okay, said A., a canoe adventure and camping. We can do that. So the plan is to park the car on a road near this lake/swamp area and canoe to a campsite somewhere. This apparently involves pulling the canoe, laden with the two children and all the supplies, over several beaver dams. A. does not find this to be a daunting prospect at all. 

Cubby has no idea how lucky he is to have a father like A. But he'll realize it one day.

And for today, there's canoeing and fishing and camping and s'mores.

Happy Father's Day, indeed.

P.S. I must obviously also wish another very special father of my acquaintance a happy Father's Day. Last I heard from him, he was sitting on the porch of his rented cottage in Wales with my mother, smoking a cigar and enjoying day five or so of their two-week vacation. So I think it's a given that's he's having a pretty happy day. But I'll say it anyway: Happy Father's Day, Dad. You took me camping too, and believe me, I haven't forgotten it.

1 comment:

Roger A. Post said...

A most excellent adventure for father and son. Cubby may be just old enough to retain the memory as he grows up.