Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Halloween Failure

There are many things at which I excel, but Halloween costumes are not one of them. In fact, I unequivocally suck at Halloween costumes. It was kind of a relief to me when I realized I was old enough that I didn't have to worry about it anymore. Adults don't have to wear costumes. And I don't. Ever.

Then I had kids. And kids need Halloween costumes. Especially if their preschool class is going trick or treating at the village businesses. Today, which is obviously not even actually Halloween, but Cubby doesn't know that.

Good thing my mom totally randomly sent Cubby this astronaut suit last year that fits him perfectly now. If I were clever and good at costumes, I could probably figure out a way to attach this Earth ball thing we have so it looks like he's floating around the Earth. Or at least find the little NASA cap that goes with suit. But I can't find the cap and I am not good at costumes, so just the suit it is.

Charlie has no costume whatsoever. I thought about putting him in one of his plaid shirts and his denim overalls and calling him a farmer, but then I remembered I have to take him to the doctor today for his fifteen-month checkup and I do not want to be wrestling a post-vaccination screaming child into a button-up shirt and overalls. He's currently wearing a hoodie sweatshirt. Maybe I can just put some sweatpants on him and call him a gym rat.

As for me, I'm currently wearing black dress pants, black shoes with a heel, a non-stained, fairly dressy turtleneck sweater, and earrings. I showered this morning and did my hair. So you know what I am? My pre-child self.

I know. Lame. I told you I suck at costumes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tie the boxing gloves together and throw them over his shoulder.
Have fun.
Happy pre Halloween trick or treating. Beth

Anonymous said...

Hey. I am totally okay with your choice of costumes. I decided I was just going to wear the same witch costume over and over if required. Which it rarely is.
And I scored this year. My husband and neighbor are walking the kids around while I and the neighbor's wife sit and drink wine while we pass out candy. It should be an awesome Halloween.
-moi

tu mere said...

Ooooh. Just put sticky stuff all over Charlie's clothes and let him roll in the leaves. Just thought of that looking at the last blog pictures. Next year, may be?

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

YES!! I am with you. I hate dressing up but LOVE Halloween. So having kids is actually radtastic for this way of thinking. I hit up the Goodwill for a complete costume for her at the bargain price, this year, of 5.00, then I get to walk around and collect FREE CANDY from strangers while reveling in all the Halloween goodness I can stand. All while doing next to no work on the costume front.
I like free candy.

Joellen said...

One year I spent so many hours making a costume for my boys. The three year old was David and the eight year old was Goliath. He had fake muscles, a long black curly wig, and I cut up cardboard and covered it with tin foil and attached it to a pleated school uniform skirt to resemble armor. The little one just had an undyed muslin sack dress (I cut down a shepherd costume I had from a Christmas pageant). Well they were just as cut as could be as long as they were together. However when the costume contest started they were in two different groups. Goliath was ok, but David just looked like some boy in a bad dress. Thank goodness he was three and didn't realize.