Thursday, March 20, 2014

A.P.D.--The Domestic Triage Edition

Wow, yesterday's post sounded a little bit desperate, didn't it? Sorry about that. We're fine! Everyone will be fine! Soon we'll all be our usual merry selves (well, those of us that are merry when healthy, anyway) and this tribulation will be but a fading memory.

But in the meantime, I haven't vacuumed my house in more than a week.

Vacuuming is one of those things that goes by the wayside when I'm on the ropes. Along with dusting, which really needs to be done now, since I cleaned out the woodstove yesterday and now everything is covered in a fine layer of ash.

But I set these things aside in favor of the things that I will never give up on, no matter the circumstances: Cooking and laundry. Even in the darkest of days--that is, the newborn baby days--I still do laundry and cook. Every day. Because those are the things I need to do to feel as if I'm maintaining some control over my life.

But I know there are some people who would rather eat Stouffer's every day than let their floors get into the state mine are currently in (that state being, of course, totally disgusting). So tell me, my lovelies: What are the non-negotiables for you in your daily life? And what do you readily give up on when life dumps on you?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never give up laundry either--getting dressed I will easily give up (unless I have to go into work). Mary in MN

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

Clean underwear every day: Yes.

Clean sink where I brush my teeth: Very yes.

Ability to walk through the living room without stepping over every toy we own: Meh.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

This is why I find the answers to this question about priorities fascinating: I always get dressed in the morning and pick up toys at the end of the day, no matter how awful I feel. But a clean sink to brush my teeth? Never would occur to me to even think about.

flask said...

the non-negotiable things for me are sleep and playing outdoors.

i'm serious about this.

of course, i have no children, but my life literally depends on proper sleep and outdoor play.

next tier: proper meals, clean laundry, clean dishes, maintenance of gear

next tier: vacuuming, bathroom cleaning

next tier: clearing up some of my clutter, because too often when i get done playing outside i don;t have the energy to put things away properly.

Anonymous said...

Non-negotiable: coffee in the morning; brushed teeth

Everything else is pretty much a toss-up

tu mere said...

Definitely vacuuming since I have to lug the hose into the house along with the attachments, plug/replug in different wall sockets throughout the house - you get the idea. Major pain even when I feel OK.

Speaking of feeling OK, tons of get well vibes sent for y'all to power through and get OK as quickly as possible - given it's colds and all.

Anonymous said...

Priorities DO change when you get older. You may not believe it now.

Brushing teeth,daily shower, putting my long hair up out of my way. I'm with flask...outdoor play is up there close to the top of the list.
Too much cleaning can ruin your life. :) Beth

Daisy said...

I give up cleaning, too. The floors and the bathrooms will look awful. Come to think of it, the house looks rather bad right now. I couldn't clean post-surgery. Now I'm back to work and short on both time and energy. Maybe this is a sign that I should hire someone to clean my house. Hm.