Sunday, August 17, 2008

Kristin's Kool Kitchen Tricks

I should send this in to "Cook's Illustrated." They would give me a free year's subscription to their magazine. But I offer it freely to you, because I am a generous soul.

Corn. We had/have a lot of corn. And when it comes out of the garden, it's always on the cob. How inconvenient. So, I've spent a lot of time cutting the corn off the cob to freeze and make maquechoux (look it up, kids). I hate to cut corn off the cob. But the process is made immeasurably easier and a hell of a lot less messy courtesy of a trick the MiL taught me. I think her father taught it to her. Cleverness is a family tradition.

You'll need a bundt pan. That's one of those deep circular pans with the tube in the middle. So what you do is, stick the narrower end of the corn cob into the tube part of the bundt pan, then cut with a (very sharp--trust me that it helps, a lot) knife. Instead of the corn free-falling onto a cutting board and ricocheting all over the counter, it will just fall into the pan.

Would you like a disturbingly phallic photo for illustration?


Filthy

Aaaaand, end of lesson. You're welcome.

10 comments:

MsPicketToYou said...

my god Country, is there no end to your brilliance?

now, where is that bundt pan i probably shoved in some closet/attic/basement for lack of use?

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I am e-mailing a link to this post to everyone I know. Maybe you'll get some new regular readers (I'll expect a kickback of your new, higher, ad revenue).

SaraPMcC said...

I find this photo very intriguing...

mil said...

Here's a funny little side note: The pan was originally A's great-grandmother's. She died nearly twenty years before A. was born, and I found it in a closet and returned it to use about 4 yrs. ago. Nana, Victorian to the soul, always said "limb" instead of "leg." Leg was too racy for her. Nana would be shocked, if she knew what phallic meant. May her innocent sould rest in peace.

mil said...

I blush with shame.
soul. Oh dear.

Allison said...

This is awesome! Since I'm from Iowa, I appreciate it even more. Corn country, you know.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Great tip and great funny post!

krysta said...

kristin and MIL, you just made my day! i have two kids who can't have corn on the cob, so mom has to cut the kernals off for them and i hated it 'til now. you seriously have no idea how happy i am.

Shelli said...

that is fecking brilliant!

Now pardon me while I go retrieve some corn from under the counters, stove, and fridge, because I didn't read your post early enough.

Daisy said...

I do like my new little gadget, but this will make it even easier -- next year!