Friday, September 26, 2008

This Letter's for You


As instructed by Ms. P., I wrote a letter . . .

Dear 50 or so people who read this site and never comment:

Internetty people call you "lurkers." That's the word for the people who come to a site every day (or every other day, or whenever it's convenient) to read and enjoy . . . but not comment. Because bloggers are at heart attention-hounds and basically live for their comments, they can find this irritating. I believe that's why the ominous-sounding name "lurker" was chosen. But I think of myself as less of a blogger and more of a completely random online journaling weirdo. So I think of you as less of a lurker and more of a friend. Like Silent Bob. (Remember him? If you don't, you're either too old or too young. Anyone older or younger than me is too old or too young, because I'm just right.)

BUT ANYWAY.

The fact that you come here AT ALL, much less every day (or every other day, or whenever it's convenient) to read about my dogs, my chickens, my tomatoes, and ME is pretty damn cool. I am well aware of my shortcomings as a writer. I know I use too many parentheses, write too long of sentences, and start sentences with "and," "but," and "because" far too often. I will not win any writing prizes. But in spite of this (SEE? SEE HOW I DO THAT?), there you are, day in and day out, reading this drivel that I spew every. single. day.

I suspect many of you come for my admittedly pathetic photographs of the various animals and plants that populate this property. And perhaps for my awesome alliteration. But whatever your reasons for coming and reading this site--thank you. I love you, man.

Love, hugs, and doggie kisses,

Kristin

16 comments:

krysta said...

So I think of you as less of a lurker and more of a friend. Like Silent Bob.

i am the silent bob of the internet! cool... yeah i comment on your site but i used to and still hate commenting on most sites.

SaraPMcC said...

I'm definitely here for the awesome alliteration. And I remember Silent Bob. And I also start sentences with "and." Oh, and I do get annoyed when I know people are reading my blog and not commenting, but mostly when it's people I know in the real world. Anyway, keep on keepin' on.

Leslie said...

Seriously Kristin, you remind me that there's more to life than sitting in a gray cubicle.

Kirstin said...

And I was so loving being Silent Bob but now I must comment. I've been chastised into it. Love the dog pic coming out of the chicken coop. Cracked me up.

It's me said...

I got nothing. Except ellipses. Which I have too many of. (ellipses are my parenthese, parenthesis, parenthesises?)

Besides, I come here because you make me feel normal. Appreciate that.

FinnyKnits said...

Still though - FOR SHAME on the non-commenters.

You KNOW they have something to say, even if it's just, like, "nice woodpile" or something.

I mean really now. Everyone likes wood. HA.

Anonymous said...

I love you too woman. *grin*. I've always felt a bit of Narcism is good. Keep on truckin'

Becky said...

You're welcome. I love you too. How anyone has time to blog, I'll never know--but I'm glad you do. In gratitude for making me smile and showing me pictures of a beautiful place (which I have visited, but not for many years)--I hereby post my second ever blog comment (the first being on my church garden blog to let them know when I would water). May you continue to find time to blog, take photos, and win the tomato war.
The MiL's Utah Friend

Anonymous said...

Guilty as charged.. lurker here.. I like reading, but usually don't comment. Unless you beg or do something like write a letter to lurkers! That kind of trips off the tongue.. letter to lurkers.. hmm anyhoodle.. I just think you're very entertaining and I enjoy reading about your adventures in country living. I live 20 miles from the nearest small town...so I do have some affinity for your life! Thanks for writing.
Jean

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I didn't actually intend to guilt-trip anyone into commenting, but I guess I did. Yay for guilt! And thank you to Kirstin (you know your name is spelled wrong? transpose the "i" and the "r" to get it right . . .), Becky, and Jean for saying you love me. I can feel the love tonight. And I can hear Elton singing.

Marie said...

Great letter. Also a kind of manifesto I think.
And what's wrong with sentences that begin with "but"? In French too they are off-limits. Thank god you're dedicated to them.

Anonymous said...

I, too, start too many sentences with and, but and because. And I um a lot. And I oh yeah a great deal. And I once in a while, oh get this.

I do it -- as I suspect you do too -- on purpose. We know better -- of course we do. (Oooh! I use too many dashes, too!) We do it because blogging is SUPPOSED to be conversational. We're friends, chatting it up, albeit virtual friends.

It's about tone. And accessability. And voice.

How's that for one big juicy rationalization?

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

But I always start sentences that way. (And use parentheses ... and ellipses -- like that one.)

And why haven't you ever written a love letter to those of us who have taken a moment out of our busy, busy days -- or rather moments out of our days -- to comment? (Did I mention our days are busy?)

Oh, buy they way ... SOURDOUGH!

Sweet Bird said...

Sooo...a couple years ago my two best friends, who are guys, dressed up like Jay and Silent Bob for Halloween.

It was bad asser.

MsPicketToYou said...

Ummmm...


See?

The Management said...

Well if you're going to put it that way :) I was just going to read your entire blog and stalk it like I do blogs until I find something that I must deal with...and then you said I reminded you of Kevin Smith :P

(Yes, I read in chronological order)