Friday, November 7, 2008

Because It's Mine, I Walk the Line

I have this teeny, tiny, very minor obsession with spelling. To the point that once, when I was at a Wendy's (mmm, Frosty . . .), I noticed a typo on the electric hand dryer as I was standing there drying my hands. And every time I see one of those family name signs in front of a house with an apostrophe before the "s," I want to rip it off and correct it with my red pen. Listen up, all you Smith's out there--no apostrophe before the "s." It's just a plural! Like "dogs"! Or "morons"! NO APOSTROPHE.

Ahem.

But this craziness has occasionally been useful. It enabled me to score high enough on a proofreading test to land the job that supported us while A. was in law school. And just yesterday, the craziness won me a prize.

Carrie over at Sparkerly (isn't that just the cutest blog name ever?) posted a little story riddled with misspellings that she has actually encountered in her work as a lawyer. She offered a prize to the first person who identified all the misspelled words. It was a greatly entertaining little story, and, well, it's not like I don't already catalog all misspellings in my head anyway. So I gave her what she asked for. And I was the ONLY one who did. So I won!

Like my dad says, sometimes showing up is all it takes.

My prize? A $25 Amazon gift certificate. Cha-CHING. Carrie sent it to me yesterday. I spent about two seconds debating whether I should use it to buy a Christmas present for someone else before deciding screw that--MINE. Then I spent another two seconds thinking if I wanted a cookbook, which would enable me to cook delicious meals for other people, or a CD, which would be selfishly ALL FOR ME. I went with selfish.




NICE

That right there is four whole CDs of Johnny Cash--pretty much his entire career. Thanks to Carrie, I now have my canning music for next summer, and the Man in Black lives on.

Life is good.

10 comments:

SaraPMcC said...

Wow. Who knew all these skills would come in handy in real life at some point? How I wish I would've gotten a $25 Amazon gift certificate instead of this job!

Anonymous said...

Congrats. You rock! Johnny Cash. Interesting. Don't know if I could handle an entire canning session with only Johnny Cash in the background.

Sweet Bird said...

I love Johnny Cash. So much.

My spam word is 'comes' hehe. Like "The Man Comes Around."

Apropos.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you put it to good use!

It's me said...

There's no way NOT to be happy while listening to Cocaine Blues...

"early one morning while making the rounds, I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down"

Poetry, man, poetry. :)
congrats

FinnyKnits said...

Nice! Folsom Prison seems like a good theme for canning.

MsPicketToYou said...

It was fixt!

Dr Zibbs said...

I hear you with the spelling. And thanks for commenting on my blog. When I started my blog, a friend of mine told me to stop analyzing everything and just write. Now he's pissed because my grammar and spelling is so bad. But I swear, in my biz writing it's perfect.

Anonymous said...

Damn, girl! If I'd known about that contest, I could have given you a serious run for your money. Why is it that nobody learns the difference between plural and possessive anymore? It's my number one pet peeve.

inadvertent farmer said...

Outstanding choice...trading a gift certificate for Cash is always the way to go!