Monday, April 13, 2009

Things You Can Count On

It will always be too cold to comfortably wear a skirt on Easter Sunday. And yet, I will wear one anyway. It really is disappointing. Every year, I have this crazy idea that "Easter" translates to "Spring" and "warm weather." Oh, you silly upstate New York transplant. When will you learn?

When we woke up yesterday to get ready for church (yes, we're those people that go only for Christmas and Easter--I'm okay with that), it was about 25 degrees with a stiff wind. A. had implored me to dress "Easter-y." Meaning, in pastels and a skirt. Easy for him to say, sitting there warm and comfy in his wool suit. The best I could muster was a dark pink sweater and a gray wool skirt. With pantyhose. Let me tell you, pantyhose are a joke when the wind is blowing off the lake and it's hovering right around freezing. I would have been better off with my flannel-lined jeans. It was actually snowing on the way to church. Cozy! But I sucked it up and bared my legs, and then changed as soon as we got home.

After church, we prepared our contributions to the family dinner. We were going to supply a leg of lamb, but then we realized that we only got three last year (only three--what a warped perspective we have, yes?) and they had all been consumed already. Whoopsy. So we brought prime rib instead. I don't think anyone was too disappointed. There was also ham. And potatoes and salad and stuffing and soup and and and and and . . .

There was a lot of food.

Also Easter baskets with chocolate and bubbles in them. I think the puppies will really enjoy chasing bubbles, don't you? And then we'll all just die from the cuteness of it all.

How was your Easter/Passover celebration this year? Did you gather with lots of people? Did you get to see family members you don't normally see? And most importantly, what did you eat?

11 comments:

Susan said...

I am so glad you asked. We have a new tradition of crashing someone else's family gathering. My friend said there were 11 cups of heavy cream involved, which makes it my kind of dinner.
It's a huge family, so I don't think we're even noticed. Which is saying something.

Chiot's Run said...

Mr Chiots and I worked on building a new rock wall up front around our cherry tree. We ate leftover pizza for lunch and some soup for dinner. We will have a big dinner with ham in a few weeks when all family member can attend (we're not super adament about actually celebrating holidays on the actualy holiday).

Phoo-D said...

We kept things super low key and ended up doing a bit of yard work. Dinner was a great braised lamb with apricots, asparagus over a walnut crema, and lemon bombe for dessert. The best part is since it was just the two of us we didn't have to get dressed up or even shower! My kind of holiday =).

Mayberry Magpie said...

Very small -- just me and Mr. Mom, the two kids, and one friend. But it was an overcast, rainy day in Mayberry, so the quiet darkness was actually kind of nice.

We had prime rib, too! And Yorkshire pudding, which I found to my surprise that my family likes.

You are to be commended for wearing pantyhose. I wear them everyday to work so I refuse on weekends. Even Easter weekend.

Sara said...

We had many people over to celebrate Passover. And we've eaten a TON of food. And it has been exhausting. And it's not over.

jean said...

We started with veggies and dip, Kielbasa and Polish mustard, canned ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, asparagus, corn, broccoli, (chicken breasts for the two who won't eat ham) and then had desserts! All we were missing was stuffing. I love stuffing but only get it at Christmas dinner.

The Management said...

I just want to know where you found a three legged lamb...

FinnyKnits said...

Yes on the weather thing. My mom tried to convince me that WE should begin hosting Passover now that we are grown-ups in a house and when I reminded her that my house was a fraction the size of hers and wouldn't accommodate the ridiculous amount of people we have for these occasions, she suggested we just have it in our backyard, which is larger than our house.

Except it's always about 50 degrees (not a disaster if you're indoors, mind you) and either raining or supah windy.

Nice try, mom.

We did bring the brisket. A special contribution about which I will write a post. Soon.

Pretzel Thief said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pretzel Thief said...

(Deleted first comment because of silly typos, bah! :D)

First-time reader and poster (found you via Jivey's wonderful blog and realised you have the same blog layout as me, heh heh).

I, too, used to be the 'only-goes-for-Christmas-and-Easter'-type church-goer...but now my boyfriend and I sing in the church chorale (I'm a soprano-soloist, he's bass) so it's pretty much every Sun now. I know. Yeah, don't know how we do it either. Love for music and all that. ;)

Your Easter sounds muchos fun, 'cept of course for the skirt, heh heh.
Mmmm, prime rib, stuffing, potatoes...nothing like a holiday smorgasboard [drools Homer-style].

As I'm Christian Serbian Orthodox, we celebrate our Easter this coming Sunday...it'll be very low-key, just a nice lunch (after of course belting away at the special Easter liturgy Sun morning :D).

Tootles!

Anonymous said...

We had an emergency vet visit, as usual. It never fails.