Saturday, April 18, 2009

And the Prep Goes On

Yesterday's wedding prep fun included, among many, many (MANY) other things, food prep. The MiL spent a couple of hours cutting up pineapples into decorative boats and boiling, browning, and slicing kielbasa and andouille sausage. Because what wedding is complete without sausage? I, meanwhile, was cutting up broccoli and carrots and cauliflower and melon and salumi (more sausage! This time with a fancy Italian name). And THEN, my brother-in-law and his soon-to-be-wife cut cheese (snicker) for awhile.

Then we had to find room for it all in the refrigerator.


We failed to do so.

No matter! We have coolers. That have now been filled with ice and melon and cheese and carrots and . . . okay, never mind, you get it. That have been filled. And are now sitting on the floor in the kitchen.

At this very moment, I have mustard seed steeping in hot beer to make mustard for the sausage (FYI: boiling beer is NOT appetizing at 6:15 in the morning) and garlic roasting in the oven for a white bean and garlic dip. As soon as A. gets up and fixes the flat tire on his truck, we'll go into the Small City to pick up the keg.

And when we come back, it will be time for the rushrushrush of the pre-party panic: chill all the champagne and other beer, sweep the porch, move those bales of pine shavings that have been sitting in front for two weeks, put on tablecloths, make sure the bathroom is clean, set up glasses and plates and utensils, arrange the appetizers, find bowls and serving spoons and napkins and WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE TOOTHPICKS?

Are you tired yet? Yeah, me too. See you on the other side.

8 comments:

Mayberry Magpie said...

Whew, I'm tired just thinking of it.

Those pineapple boats are seriously cut though. And I love a good sausage anything. I want a complete menu round-up post-wedding, please!

Mayberry Magpie said...

Seriously cute. Seriously cute.

Phoo-D said...

Hang in there! I'm sure once it is over you will put up your feet and smile!

Tami Bami Wami said...

I wasn't invited????? *grin* poor cousin in law me will be going to see a women's pro soccer game while the festivities go on. Tell A's bro happy wedding!

Sweet Bird said...

Oooh - wedding! I love weddings. And beer. I also love beer.

rls said...

Oh my Lord, I am tired just reading this. You are a rock star of a sister-in-law. Hope it's all going well - you should have beautiful weather.

jean said...

My stomach is growling. If you have any leftovers can I get a doggie bag?

krysta said...

jeez... you have to be exhausted... good lord.