Friday, May 22, 2009

Thanks Again, Jules

There was just something about Julia Child. She was weird; she was crazed for butter and liquor; she was AWESOME. If you don't own any of her cookbooks, go get one. Seriously. We have Mastering the Art of French Cooking; The French Chef cookbooks, which have all the recipes from the t.v. show; and Jacques and Julia at Home, with Jacques Pepin. We also have the first season of The French Chef t.v. show and it is some of the most entertaining television EVER. The Food Network WISHES they had something this good in their line-up. My favorite one might be the chicken one, where she dances the (dead, plucked) chicken around the counter. Or possibly the show about tripe, when she grabs an ENTIRE COW STOMACH and twirls it around her hands like some kind of nasty pizza dough.

The woman was nuts. But she knew her cooking.

Her recipes never, ever fail. Some are long and annoyingly detailed, with five million steps that dirty four thousand pots and take six hours, but they work. And they are delicious. And not all of them are complicated. Take this potato salad.


I think Julia would also approve of the Wild Turkey 101 bourbon that snuck into the photo.


Except I won't let you, because I want to eat it all myself. I made this last night for dinner. It's from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and it's just boiled potatoes, dressed with a shallot vinaigrette. (I also added some unauthorized bacon, because, well, because it's BACON. Why wouldn't I add it?) It's very easy to make, and it's so good I had to restrain myself, lest I eat it all before anyone else got home. I did manage to save enough for dinner, but it was a close thing.

You should make it. Go to your library and get the cookbook. Then make this and see if you can keep yourself from eating the whole bowl before anyone else gets a crack at it.

But if you can't, I won't judge you.

11 comments:

Sara said...

Hey, I was just watching Julia Child yesterday! My sister turned it on; I think it was on PBS. Anyway, she had this mean woman on showing her how she (mean woman) makes pumpernickel bread and matzo (that's how they spelled it in the description, and that's how Julia pronounced it until mean woman told her otherwise). We turned it off when mean woman put sesame seeds into her matzo recipe. That's not right.

Leslie said...

Julia Child's kitchen is at the American History Museum. It's one of my favorit exhibits. Julia actually reminds me a lot of my grandmother. They both have these sing-song voices and even look alike!

Lanny said...

My friend has a sign above her kitchen sink, a Julia Childs' quote, "If you are afraid of butter just use cream." So I'm sure Julia would approve of your bacon addition.

I have the two volume set of French Cooking, love them, right next to Erma's Joy of Cooking (old edition)those would be the books I would grab in case of fire, which would most likely be a bacon greese fire.

Amy said...

butter, cream, bacon, liquor.

*happy sigh*

krysta said...

so i was looking for a copy of mastering french cooking... i fainted when i found a 1st edition, the price was CRAZY expensive.

Anonymous said...

Are you going to go see Julie & Julia?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135503/

Also, my stomach growled the loudest I ever heard it growl while reading about your potato salad. MMMMMM.

(I wouldn't mind some of that Wild Turkey either.)

Susan said...

I have both volumes! And I LOVE that chicken episode.

rls said...

JT you beat me to the movie question! We were just talking about that flick last night at Scriptease rehearsal, and we all agree that we can't wait to see it.

Phoo-D said...

This recipe sounds great! I inherited an old copy of this cookbook and need to go crack it open!

Julie said...

I think Julia would have approved of the bacon too. Especially after she had enough Wild Turkey.

mdvelazquez said...

I've been searching for summer side recipes. This sounds great. Everything is better with bacon.