Saturday, May 23, 2009

And the Planting Goes On

Another big day of planting things in the garden yesterday. Two more rows of tomatoes are in (under their kick-ass bamboo support systems, but of course) for a grand total of 26 tomato plants. That's actually one MORE than I planted last year and last year the Tomato Crazy almost destroyed me, so this year should be even more fun! I don't expect any sympathy though, because I do it to myself. Not that that will stop me from whining in the midst of canning season.

BUT ANYWAY.

Also planted were seven basil plants, six bell pepper plants, six jalapeno plants, and two lonely eggplant . . . plants (that sounds lame and repetitive, but it's CONSISTENT, dammit). There are only two eggplant plants because I, um, killed the rest of them dead when I left the cold frame cover closed and the sun fried them like eggs. (HAAA, get it? Eggs? Eggplant? Okay, sorry.) I could really use some more eggplant plants.*

Still waiting to go in are six purple cabbage seedlings. And the green beans. Oh, and we haven't planted any cucumbers or squash yet. And the surviving onions need to be planted, too. And . . . yeah, why does it feel like I haven't made any headway, despite grubbing in the dirt for five hours yesterday?

This gardening thing, man. Sisyphus ain't got nothin' on me.

*Mark, are you reading this? I really hope y'all have some extras, like you said you might. NO PRESSURE, THOUGH.

7 comments:

rls said...

Good luck! Post photos when you have your 40 acres all planted!

Anonymous said...

Most of my problems and injuries are self-inflicted too! Good luck!

tu mere said...

OK, it's time to reread my Greek mythology books. However, that was made abundantly clear on the Greece trip - your Sisyphus reference just reinforced the need. Keep giving us those verbal challenges as you continue to provide yourself with physical challenges.

jean said...

What type of tomatoes do you plant?

Daisy said...

I realized I'd bought too many tomato plants when I had to put them much too close together to fit them alongside the support trellis. I hope I didn't do them in that way. Good luck with the rest of the planting!

FinnyKnits said...

You know, I don't have a single Julia Child cookbook. What is wrong with me? I shall scout the library for such a thing.

I think all that talk of French cooking scared me off, but now I'm ready.

For potato salad anyway.

Chiot's Run said...

Sounds like you've been productive. I finally harvested all of my spinach and planted my cukes. I'm hoping for a good batch of pickles this year.

I got a bunch of my tomatoes planted but still have many to go. I know I'm going to be overrun with tomatoes, but that's better than not having enough like last year. I think I'm going to be planting 40 plants (that's a lot for 2 people). But I use them to make tons of chutney for Christmas gifts, and since I've already gotten requests for more chutney I'd better grow enough tomatoes so I don't have to buy them.