Friday, June 19, 2009

Zen and the Art of Pea Shelling

We had the first garden peas of the year last night. Actually, these were the first peas in a couple of years, because last year the rabbits and slugs ate all the pea plants, so we didn't have any peas last year. That explains why I had forgotten about shelling peas.

Shelling peas is one of those activities that is often described as "Zen." That's really a code word for "a mind-numbing pain in the ass." I think peas win for the crop in the garden that requires the most effort for the smallest return. It took me an hour to pick and shell a cup and a half of peas. Granted, I was slowed down by the fact that my exploded thumbnail is starting to rip off, so I can't really use that one, but still. That's a long damn time.

The upside to spending that much time just to eat peas is it makes you appreciate each and every pea. I actually told A. during dinner that he had better slow down his normal shovel mode of eating and savor the flavor of those peas, because they are a labor of love. He did.

But what it comes down to, of course, is are fresh peas worth the time? And the answer, obviously, is yes. Their texture is much different from frozen peas. It's less mushy, with a little more bite. And of course, they are sweeter and less starchy than frozen peas. So I'll keep on shelling those peas and practicing my meditation.

I am a Zen Pea Master.

8 comments:

mdvelazquez said...

Sorry about the nail.

That is a lot of work, but I'm glad it was worth it. I can't remember the last time I had peas, frozen or otherwise.

SaintTigerlily said...

I loooooove fresh peas. So jealous over here. I wonder if it is too late for me to plant some...?

Anonymous said...

Pea sheller mechanical, time saver , plant MORE peas then. I think you can plant peas for a fall crop ,'cause they need cool weather. Depends on where you are as to when to plant them. Upstate NY , I would say later august maybe.

FinnyKnits said...

Much like shelling favas, I'm never sure if it's worth the effort until I sit down with my little bowl and savor them.

Until that moment though, I'm ready to burn the whole crop to the ground.

Chiot's Run said...

That's why I often grow the sugar snap or snow peas, they feel like you get so much more bang for the gardening buck and no shelling!

I remember when we were younger and we all would sit around shelling peas we would make up songs about them.

Daisy said...

I like your definition of Zen! Mind-numbing... LOL!
My pea plants are looking good, but no pods yet. Too early in my zone, I guess.

rls said...

The woman who's the dresser for the show I'm working crew on brought me two baggies of sugar snap peas last night from her garden. Daughter and I sat up in the sound booth crunching on 'em during the show last night. Yummy.

Sweet Bird said...

I hold pea shelling in the same regard as pitting fresh cherries.

But with peas it's so much more worth it because there's no way to match that flavor in any other pea-form. The only way I'll eat peas is if they're fresh from the shell.

Again, I'm jealous.