Monday, November 30, 2009

Signs of the Season

Know how I know Christmas is almost here? I mean, besides the relentless barrage of decorations in stores and seasonal songs on the radio, not to mention the endless commercials on television? (Thank you, American media, for killing the Christmas spirit before it even starts!) I know because we have oranges and grapefruit in the kitchen.

I know this doesn't seem remarkable for most people. However. I don't ever buy those fruits, despite loving citrus with a great and abiding passion. Citrus fruits are my most favoritest. Unfortunate, since I live in a place where no variety of citrus will grow outside. But apples do. In great abundance. And pears, and peaches, and apricots . . . these are the fruits that I grow and buy, since we're surrounded by orchards that grow these things. But no citrus.

This is especially sad because I have very fond memories of swinging in the hammock at my parents' old house in Tucson, Arizona, picking tangerines from the tree next to the hammock, eating them and spitting seeds at the dog. Good times. And those tangerines were always ready right around Christmas.

Now, of course, we have to buy citrus fruit. And the only time we do is at Christmas, when the MiL's brother sells big boxes of oranges and grapefruits as a fundraiser for the Lions Club. Or something like that. I'm not sure of the organization that sells them, but I do know I have two big boxes of oranges and grapefruits in the kitchen. Christmas time is here again.

What are your signs of the season, duckies?

8 comments:

sheila said...

Candied orange peels. I have some drying on my kitchen table now. Time for fruitcake = Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I bought some oranges at the store last week, and they were all dry on the inside. SAD. But from my experience, the kind you order from those fundraisers are usually pretty awesome.

It's officially Christmastime for me when I listen to Christmas music at work (beginning the Monday after T-giving).

Pat said...

It's true that we can't go by the holiday decorations any more. Geez - they are even up before Thanksgiving. I saw a store putting them up even before HALLOWEEN for God's sake. Boy that made me mad!

Maybe it's when the Christmas specials start to come on TV. I'm behind in my shopping and cards, etc. this year. I don't decorate since we don't have any storage space for decorations in the trailer; and we always fly home for Christmas.

SaintTigerlily said...

This might sound painfully obvious, but I love the piles of Christmas trees on the sides of each NYC avenue. LOVE.

Also, Bloomindales is wrapped up like a gift.

Oh, and the Christmas decorations from last year at my local liquor store are finally back in season.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!!

(My word verification is "faill". Harsh!)

SaintTigerlily said...

BloomINGdales.

Anonymous said...

Today it finally got grey and rainy and cold - and when I actually turn on the heater for the year - it's almost Christmas. Gotta love Tucson.

Moi

granny said...

The signs of Christmas here are,
40c heat (104f)Plums,watermelon,cherries,peaches,
mangoes, necterines and watermelon!! Mmmmmm :0)

Daisy said...

My son sold oranges and grapefruit for his high school choir. I always buy a case of each.