Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Sheep Talkers

I have mentioned before that we have some particularly loud sheep. Cotswold sheep don't do gentle baaing. They do strident, obnoxious maaing. Frequently and at length. The frequency increases in the winter when they start getting supplemental feedings of grain. If they see a person, or even just hear a person, they start vocalizing their desire for more food. So the noise level goes up in the winter. Know what else makes the sheep louder? When people talk to them.

Oh yes.

Do not ask me what it is about sheep that makes people so inclined to maa at them, but it's like a compulsion. Seriously. I have heard men, women, children, neighbors, workmen, perfect strangers maaing back and forth with the sheep. At length. Once, I heard one of our neighbors' guests who didn't seem to be able to make the appropriate sheep sound, so she just yelled, "Hey, sheep!" Over and over and over. And of course, they maaed back at her.

Of course, these people don't know I'm there and can hear them. Which is why they do it. Because frankly, it's pretty stupid. But it's like they can't help themselves. Like when you're in an echo-y canyon and you just can't help but yell "Echo!" even though you know it's dumb and cliched. Apparently, the sheep echo is just as irresistible.

Incidentally, I do not have this compulsion. My immediate reaction to the sheep maaing is to mutter angrily and swear at them for making so much damn noise ALL THE TIME. They have lost their novelty for me, obviously.

But if you ever come visit, feel free to have a conversation with the sheep. As long as I'm not here.

6 comments:

sheila said...

Goats are the same. My neighbor can't resist talking to my goats and getting them to talk back to him. I think he's more thrilled with them than I am. At least until they get out and eat up his ornamental plants. Then it might be a different story. Good fences so far are making good neighbors

Anonymous said...

You could put together a video for a show about these 'sheep talkers' or at least it would be funny at family gatheriings for entertainment purposes. Have you heard 'felt' the mancub maaing back at them yet? Seems like a real kids thing to do, to me. Maybe you could get them to do Christmas carols and the neighbors would like you more. Has A. said anything about it , since he is working from home now, he gets the joy of hearing them too.

Melinda said...

And all this time I actually thought my goats were just saying hello, not asking for food...

CountryMidwife said...

I have to admit that I'm one who talks to ALL animals. I mean, stop the car, roll down the window and say "hey girls! Hey girls!" to every living creature standing road side. It's a compulsion. There must be a 12 step program for us somewhere.

Kris said...

I call back to my goat. I know some of their calls. When we are out for a walk and they can't see me they call out with a panic mmmaaaa? and I call back to them.

inadvertent farmer said...

ROFL...I have the same problem with the chickens. I must say that sheep can be simply obnoxious and that is why we keep animals that don't make much noise like llamas and camels...although I suppose the fact that they spit can be its own problem. But it is easier to duck from camel spit than it is to escape your sheep's noises!

Enjoy the 'chorus' this winter!