Sunday, March 7, 2010

Doin' It My Way

Back before I had Cubby, I remember reading some site for new moms that had a list of suggested outings for the new mom and baby. You know, so mom could get out of the house and interact with people who don't mess their pants on a regular basis. The suggested outings--coffee shops, Target-- were pretty much all ridiculous for me, because they would all involve a 20-mile drive to the Small City.

It turns out that Cubby's first real outing was with both A. and me, and we took him first to the farm store (A. needed sheep food) and then to Wal-Mart (I needed some clothing that would allow me to feed him without lifting my entire shirt and flashing the world). Appropriate for a newborn country boy and future woodchuck, no?

Cubby had his first non-errand outing yesterday. We took him to the all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast at a local church. It was perfect, because it was only 10 minutes away, there were lots of people there who hadn't seen him yet and got to coo over him (he's a very coo-able baby--trust me), and I got to glut myself on pancakes and sausage cooked by someone else.

Win-win for all.

* Incidentally, our very nice, formerly city-dwelling neighbors stopped by to see Cubby soon after he was born. They brought a bunch of clothes as gifts, including a camouflage onesie and some little camo booties with deer heads on them. A clear indication that they definitely consider us their redneck neighbors. But I can't WAIT until Cubby can fit into that stuff. Because we ARE the redneck neighbors and yes, my son will wear camo and probably get a gun at an early age. It's inevitable.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be so quick to judge those top-hat wearing neighbors. Camo is in style these days little sis.

sheila said...

A real "Here's your sign" moment. You are smart not to fight the inevitable though. Just be prepared Cubby may surprise you with his own take on life. Maybe he will love opera and ballet along with hunting and fishing.

stocyt- I believe that is the definition of one who accepts the inevitable.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo Cubby. Growin' up in the good life. The way life's meant to be lived. Down and dirty, to it's fullest. Lucky boy, that Cubby.
Beth

word verification inedn

paradise/ Blackrock for Cubby

Tami Bami Wami said...

Oh goody i can just picture you being called to the principals office due to cubby shooting bb guns at the poor little critters around the school.

jean said...

Start him with a Nerf gun first. It will easier on you and the dogs.

When he gets a real gun he can come over here and kill all my squirrels. Lots of target practice.

Daisy said...

Of course he's a coo-able baby! And giving you a chance to eat food made by someone else - priceless.