Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Powerless

The power went out this morning at 6:15 when I was changing Cubby in preparation for his post-wakeup nap*. And since there was no power--and therefore no way to do laundry/make breakfast/get on the computer/insert any one of 50 things I do when Cubby is asleep that require electricity--there really seemed little point in doing anything other than getting back into bed myself. So I did.

And then, when Cubby woke up from his post-wakeup nap, the power was still out. The MiL had been planning to iron. Can't do that when there's no electricity for the iron. A. should have been working in his office. Can't do that when there's no electricity for the computer, fax, or phone. I needed to do a load of laundry. Can't do that when there's no electricity for the washing machine.

So instead we all sat around the living room watching Cubby play. The MiL actually boiled water on her camp stove to make coffee, but other than that, we just sat there.

The power came back on around 9 a.m., just in time for me to make breakfast before I passed out and for A. and the MiL to get cleaned up before work. But the little powerless vacation was kind of nice while it lasted.

So what about you, poppets? Does the power going out relax you or make you feel frantic?

* Don't ask ME why the child feels the need to go back to sleep an hour after waking up. Perhaps if he didn't wake up at an ungodly hour, he wouldn't be so tired. I've tried explaining this to him. He doesn't seem to grasp the concept.

11 comments:

sweetbird said...

When I lived in a cooler climate whenever the power went out it was kind of like an adventure. Now that I live somewhere that's routinely in the 100s and humid as a wet sauna whenever the power goes out I panic a little. Last time the house had warmed up to 95ยบ inside before we got the AC back.

Anonymous said...

I generally hate power outages, but at least I have never had the experience my coworker did: In the bath, with her baby. Nighttime. Baby poops in tub. Power goes out immediately afterwards. Bathroom in pitch blackness. SWIMMING WITH POOP.

(Luckily the power came back on a few minutes later.)

Daisy said...

Watching baby play on the floor: what a pleasant way to spend the day!

Power outages give us a jump in blood pressure because of a lightning strike a few years ago that damaged our phone lines, one computer, and our computer's Braille embosser. It was a nightmare trying to get things serviced and repaired in time for school to start.

Anonymous said...

In general, I don't mind losing power--the world becomes so nicely silent (I live in a suburb that's rather noisy) and feels very peaceful.

When the power loss affects use of furnace (in the winter in Minnesota), or lasts so long that the refrigerator gets warm and the food spoils, I mind that.

But still, I do like the silence.

tami Bami Wami said...

Depends on the timing if it's out while i'm at work i couldn't care less but if it's while i'm home i get frustrated with the lack of power.

FinnyKnits said...

As soon as the power goes out, I grab the cell phone to keep nearby, light candles (if it's night) and read my book.

Though, to be truthful, I can often be found sitting near my cell phone reading my book.

Or wandering the garden taking pictures (with my cell phone in my pocket).

I am just realizing how attached I am to this thing. At this exact moment, it is sitting 3 inches from my hand - STARING AT ME.

Scary.

Alicia said...

I like power outages!

Mayberry Magpie said...

I go insane when the power goes out because I live my entire life on a schedule, in minute increments. Power outages get me off schedule.

Must be why I love the mountain. No power. No clock. No schedule. Ahhhhh, freedom.

Anonymous said...

Once in St. Paul I lived two and a half days without power. I wouldn't want to go through that again! I had to take all my food from the frig over to a friend's house, buy lanterns to read by, and go out for meals. No AC or fan in the summer. What a pain! So I panic with the power is out. Just having to reset all the electric clocks is burden enough. Mary in MN
And so I say to power outages, phaur, my word verification!

Judi said...

A few years back, during the snowstorm of the century, we went five days without power. That's when I found out I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears). When we got the power back on, we found out our well pump had gone bad. We were two weeks without water.

Don't mind power outages if they only last a hour or two.

Phoo-D said...

How funny, our power went out this morning for a short while too. I usually don't mind unless I want to get my car out of the garage, then it is a pain. The longest I've ever gone without power was a very long 10 days in a Winter ice storm when I was a kid. It got very old after day 3!