Thursday, July 22, 2010

No, Not THAT New York

Living in New York state means that whenever I tell people that I live in New York, they almost always assume that means New York City. And when I say no, not New York City, but upstate New York, they always want to know how far I am from New York City. My answer? Not close.

Not close in distance, and certainly not close in lifestyle. That's the funny thing about New York state: That small area in and around NYC colors the entire world's perception of the state, but the majority of the state is NOTHING like NYC. It's a lot of woods and farmland, with a few decaying cities that have been struggling since the end of the manufacturing that sustained them.

Nothing highlights this chasm between upstate and downstate more than The New York Times. Case in point: This little item in the Dining and Wine section yesterday, which reported that day lilies would be available for a limited time at the Greenmarket in NYC. For $4 a pint. Do you know how many pints of those day lilies are growing wild in our hedges and gullies? Hundreds and hundreds. And all this time, I just thought they were little better than weeds.

Maybe I should start an exporting business . . .

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every business starts somewhere, why not? Beth
I don't think woodchuck heads are in high demand. ;)

word verification 'prosalem'

go witches, go witches

Anonymous said...

But they only last a day, right?

jive turkey said...

1) I did not know you could eat day lilies.

2) I have also heard that eggs cost, like, $6/carton in NYC now. I don't remember eating eggs while living there, and yeah, THAT WAS PROBABLY WHY.

Oh, NYC, you so crazy.

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I'm tellin' ya, offer to let city people come pick their own and they'll pay more than you could make picking and shipping them yourself.


Word verification: preel -- knockoff shampoo

(I am so jealous of Anon's "prosalem" ... great definition.)

Daisy said...

I've heard that daylily bulbs are delicious. I imagine the fronds might be good in salads. I love mine - to admire and look at, not to eat.

We drove through a portion of upstate New York on our way to Maine a while ago. It was gorgeous. Who needs a big city? Not me.

rockygrace said...

I'm from upstate, too, and I was amazed this spring when the local Agway was selling potted mayapple plants. I mean, they're EVERYWHERE in the spring ....

FinnyKnits said...

Whoa awesome.

So, when Cubby's feeling industrious in his youth, he can prune back your lilies and go sell them in the city!

Or you can just sit there all smug about how you're living it up in the faces of those fancy city folk.

I feel the same way about blackberries, by the way. I see them for sale at the grocery store and at farmer's markets for, like $5/pint and I just laugh and laugh.

Every summer I pick a 5 gallon bucket's worth of blackberry's at my folks' place in Sonoma for nuthin'. Well, OK, I make my mom lunch afterward, but she's a light eater.

Alicia said...

Ugh, my hubby always has to explain that when he moved from New York to Texas, he moved TO the big city!

Anonymous said...

Black walnuts should be in demand in NYC as well, this coming fall anyways! LA&A Railroad

X said...

How long of a drive is it for you? Sounds like you just found yourself a business, sister.

Just Me said...

That's actually a darn good idea. Makes some extra money. And as suggested, sset it up as a "pick your own" thing. You'll make more and they will get to feel like they are "roughing it" or some silly thing like that for an afternoon.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. I live in Washington. Washington STATE, that is! People on airplanes, in other states/countries always assume DC.

word verification: wandsm

a class for beginning godmothers