Saturday, August 13, 2011

Better than Kraft

We had a really interesting time at the dinner table last night. "Interesting" in the sense that eating with a toddler is interesting. That is, not so much interesting as kind of irritating.

Despite the lovely dinner presented to him, Cubby was not having it. He smacked his food with his fork, examined it minutely, flung it around, but did not actually eat it. He even refused the coleslaw, for the first time ever. Usually he'll eat so much coleslaw I fear for his digestion. But not last night.

I very charitably chalked it up to sore gums from teething and gave up, unstrapping the malefactor from his chair and taking him outside to whine and throw things and generally misbehave until bedtime.

About an hour later, shortly before Cubby's bedtime, I figured I'd better get him to eat something. And what better for sore gums than ice cream? And peach pie, because the MiL had made one that very afternoon.

Yes, my son had peach pie and vanilla ice cream for dinner last night. It may not win me any parenting awards, but it's better than dyed-orange macaroni and cheese product, right? Right.

Nutrition Mother of the Year, right here.

3 comments:

sheila said...

fruit and dairy, what's wrong with that?

At least Cubby ate something, otherwise he would have been awake by 3 AM starving. Sometimes a mom has to do what she has to do, to protect her own health and sanity. Sleep is essential to maintain both.

tu mere said...

Ah, perhaps I can use this example when I'm told that little ones can't have sugar before bed because it will make them unable to go to sleep. It all depends on the child. On occasion, I love to make a meal out of high calorie foods I don't get to eat otherwise, although Cubby doesn't have any worries on that end. Great idea for a short term solution. It's not like he does this every night.

Anonymous said...

it's also better for him (and you) than an old-fashioned power struggle over that cleaning-up-your-plate thing. He'll get through this phase, I predict...