Monday, October 24, 2011

Let's Liquor It Up

I realize that Friday is supposed to be Alcohol Day here, and that it is, in fact, Monday. But let's just pretend it's Friday for a second, because WOAH do I have a lot of cider in my refrigerator and freezer.

You may remember the somewhat spirited (geddit? spirited? HAAA) discussion in the comments of last year's post about cocktails involving cider. People were excited about it. As was I. And then somehow the cider was all gone and I hadn't tried any of the other cocktail suggestions kicking around.

Sad.

But! I am currently the happy possessor of four whole gallons of freshly-pressed, currently-unpasteurized cider, most of which is stashed in the freezer for future consumption. So of course I had to do a search for cocktail recipes using cider and make a mental list of the ones that looked even halfway decent.

You'd be surprised how many didn't look even halfway decent. Apple cider, orange juice, vodka, and Snapple? No. Just . . . no.

But this one . . . Yes. Apple brandy, Champagne, cider, and orange bitters? SIGN ME UP. The recipe also calls for sugar, actually, but the cider we have is very sweet and I don't think needs any added sugar. In an odd coincidence, we actually have orange bitters, purchased at random by the MiL and made by a somewhat-local-to-us company. Everyone in the house (well, except Cubby) gave a thumbs-up to the idea of this recipe, so I think we shall have to try this one as a group soon.

When that happy day comes, I'll let you know how it goes. And in the meantime, any great ideas for apple cider cocktails, duckies? Lay it on me. Just no one say Snapple.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Fee Brothers is local in my book and their grapefruit and rhubarb bitters are very popular around here too.

Chiot's Run said...

Sounds fantastic! I'm more of the mulled type when it comes to cider, after it's allowed to sit on the counter and get less sweet and slightly "zingy".

FinnyKnits said...

And here I thought you'd made hard cider.

Don't you want to make hard cider?

COME ON.